Drilling ceramic tile for shower door

I will soon be placing a shower door in my newly tiled shower stall. The tiles are placed such that the holes to hold the track on the wall, if properly centered, will start about 1/4 inch away from a 1/8 inch grout line. I've never used ceramic bits, but I imagine the bit will want to wander into the depressed grout line. Hints to avoid this? Should I just mount the rail 1/4 off the center and drill into the grout line? Will grout line drilling be a problem in terms of fracturing the adjacent tiles? Thanks for advice...

Reply to
JFCBAS

If your tile is equal on both ends and the grout line will create a square and plumb installation then use the grout line.

If you need to drill into ceramic tile use a center punch WITHOUT the hammer. Just put your sharp center punch where you want and use hand pressure to create the dimple. Make sure your masonry bit is sharp to prevent wandering.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF

Darrell

I would also take the time to put a piece of masking tape where I am going to drill, I find it cuts down on the tile chipping, but as stated makes sure your drill bit is sharp. But since you're covering it, who cares about chipping.......you do, I know!

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

I'd make a jig before trying to drill, whether or not it was in the grout. It can be as simple as foot long piece of 1x4 with a hole predrilled thru it, stuck to the tile surface with double sided carpet tape. The drill bit will not wander when using the jig.

You are correct in trying to use the grout line if at all possible.

PJ

Reply to
PJx

In addition to all the other good advice, be sure to drill slowly, without too much pressure on the bit. If it grabs or bites too hard, you're SOL. Joe Arnold

Reply to
PhotoMan

I use a Dremel tool with an old cone ginding bit to break through the glazed surface, then a masonary bit to drill through the remaining tile. Gary Dyrkacz snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+

Gary Dyrkacz

A regular high speed steel drill will work with ceramic, as long as you keep it oiled. Use a nail and a hammer to chip away some of the glazing on the tile or the drill will "walk".

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Charles Riccardi