Drilling Cement

Page 2 of 2

Just think of years ago when most all holes in concrete were "drilled" with star point mason drills and a hammer.

Next time put some bolts in the concrete while it's still WET :)

with small stones,a STAR drill works good when used in conjunction with a regular masonary drill. When your regular masonary drill hits a stone and stops making progress,then use your STAR drill with a hammer to break-up the stone before continueing with your electric drill.Renting a Hammer drill is to expensive and over-kill for doing a small job like yours! Good luck! been there done that!
I've used masonary bits, not all that epensive, for years for general drilling in concrete with no problem. I've gone as large as 3/4" for with my 19.2 volt cordless and get a good clean hole. It sounds like you are trying to use a regular bit that would be for wood or metal. Ask for a masonary bit at the hardware. They look a little different than a standard bit.
I often use a particular lead anchor that you 'set' into the hole with a special tool. It is theaded for a regular bolt. Since you setting the anchor first rather than asking the bolt to pull it tight, they seem to hold better.