Drilling and bolting to basement wall

I'm thinking about building a permanent workbench in my basement, and I'm thinking about bolting a ledger board to the wall for the rear support. It's an exterior wall, poured concrete.

Should i expect any problems from drilling 2-3 inches into my foundation to put in some anchor bolts? Drainage on that side of the house is quite good.

Reply to
Ben Hockenhull

It might help if you tell us if that wall is block or poured concrete or something else.

Personally I prefer to lay a 2x4 flat on the wall and let it set on the floor and nail it to the wood framing member at the top. Any ledger boards or whatever in the future can to nailed to it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

On 1/3/2005 1:30 PM US(ET), Joseph Meehan took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

His last paragraph, last sentence, says 'poured concrete'.

Reply to
willshak

Lots of info here on the 'problems' you will have trying to drill into concrete made with aggregate. With a good drill and a good bit, you can do it.

pj

Reply to
Pjx

Hammer drill and Tapcon anchors. Made for attaching stuff to concrete. Boxes of 100 come with proper drill bit.

Reply to
John Hines

Oh, I'm not too concerned about being able to make the holes. More concerned about any problems I might *create* by doing so.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Hockenhull

I was planning on using Red Head wedge anchors to secure a 2x4, but same general idea I'm more concerned that I won't *cause* any problems by doing this.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Hockenhull

Standard concrete basement wall is 8 inches thick. Drilling a few holes two or three inches into it won't hurt anything.

If you sell the house, you may have to specifically exclude it on the listing ... so don't make it too nice.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

I probably would not do this. But, I recommend the small concrete (blue) screws with construction adhesive to secure the ledger.

None of my workbenches are fixed. Some have cabinets or shelves underneath that provide enough weight to keep the bench stable. If you don't have anything to store there you can use sandbags.

Reply to
Phisherman