Drilling a Hole in Hardieplank

What drill bit do I use to drill a small hole in Hardieplank? A masonry bit does not work.

I used, abused and ruined a couple of regular HS steel bits making a few new nailing holes. They work but you will only get a few holes each.
Colbyt
On 12/19/2009 08:58, mcp6453 wrote:

Sure they do.
Maybe you might get a better reply if you describe why the masonry bit doesn't work for you.
George wrote:

I tried to drill a hole in the siding to mount a flag pole holder. Since the siding is cement board, it seemed to me that a masonry bit would be a good way to drill the hole. Therefore, I grabbed a 1/8" masonry bit, inserted it into the chuck of my trusty drill, and commenced to try to drill the hole. Unfortunately, even though the bit was turning and was in full contact with the siding, the hole did not appear. Even though I pushed harder, the bit did not drill a hole in the siding.
While masonry bits may work for every other person who uses one to drill a hole in Hardieplank, in this particular case, even though I followed normal operating procedure for drilling a hole, the procedure did not result in a hole. The drill was a standard rotary drill, not a hammer drill. The masonry bit was not carbide tipped.
Does that help?
On 12/19/2009 12:37, mcp6453 wrote:

Was this bit some big box "special deal"? Never saw a masonry bit that didn't have a carbide insert. But even a good quality twist drill will make a hole in hardieplank.

Are you sure the drill was rotating in the cutting direction?

<snip>
The drill

Are you sure the drill was rotating in the cutting direction?
Yep, it's easily done. No matter how ludicrous it sounds check the drill.

Are you sure the drill was rotating in the cutting direction?
+++++++++
LOL....my first thought.

Give they guy a break fellas. I burnt up two bits because my tapcon masonry was already fried and I need the job done before it rained.
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 12:04:06 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"
My thoughts exactly :-/ Don't ask me how I know! BTDT

There was another guy, in another group, that asked: How do I drill a square hole?
And he was serious.

Why not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz3pDMP7IsE&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
q7Vuy5wNc

Yeah...I've heard of such a thing. Not readily available. In this case a metal punch was more appropriate.
mcp6453 wrote:

If the drill is turning the right direction, then the bit is dull/shot. Without being carbide tipped, they don't last long, especially if it's used without water to keep it cool and/or run at high speed and overheated it.
Masonry bits work fine, can't imagine the difficulty. Hole saws and twist bits work, but will dull quickly. Carbide burr in a Rotozip type tool work well.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

As does a diamond burr in a Dremel. Also works well for drilling holes in ceramic tile. And the diamond drill set at HF is cheap and good.
KC