Drilling a hole in a porcelain sink

I just got an reverse osmosis filter. The first step in installation is to make a one and a quarter inch hole in the sink top for it's faucet. I bought a bimetal hole saw of that size and proceeded to try to drill a pilot hole with an 1\\8 inch metal bit...no luck. Tomorrow I'll go buy something else for the pilot hole. I'm thinking I may need an abrasive bit for the porcelain layer and then switch to the bimetal. Anybody know?
I drilled a hole in my porcelain sink for an RO faucet too and it was easier than I thought it would be. The key is to get a carbide hole saw. I got mine from Home Depot, about 20.00 Go slow to minimize chipping.
Good luck

Butzmark writes:

If you want a neat hole, it will take some tools. I would start with an deep X cut with the edge of an small abrasive disk to locate the center. Then carbide drill for a mandrel hole. Then a carbide, or better diamond, hole saw. Switch to bimetal for the steel or cast iron.
If you want a sloppy hole, just chip off the porcelain with a mallet and chisel. Score the outline with a template and carbide or diamond scribe for better results.
Copper or brass tubing of the diameter of the hole you want to drill and some coarse silicon carbide abrasive grit. Cut a few slots in the end of the tubing, make a dam with putty around the drilling site. Add grit and water to the dam and use the tubing as the drill with it's end charged in the grit every few seconds. Butzmark wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com wrote:

Uh, you left off telling him how to spin that 1-1/4" tubing other than by rolling it between the palms of his hands.
Seems unlikely that he'd have a power drill around with a chuck that large. (Or could lift it if he did. <G>)
OTOH, if he found that a 1" copper sweat pipe cap was the right size he could drill a 1/4" hole centerED in it's end and use a well tightened bolt and nut as an arbor he could chuck in a drill.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

A plumber told me that those reverse osmosis filters waste a huge amount of water.
You might consider running your tubing to a 5 gallon bucket instead of dumping it down the drain.
a. It lets you see how much water you are wasting. b. You can use it water your plants.
Butzmark wrote:

what you need is a tile bit check out any diy home supply
they have bits to cut granite, porcelain, ceramic etc
i have a 5/8th's ceramic bit you can try, you want me to email it to you?

So I bought a Hitachi carbide grit hole saw at Lowe's for eleven bucks. It has a pilot bit attached. It went through the sink pretty easily. The pilot bit was sort of a spade bit arrangement with a piece of carbide on the end of a shaft. The shaft was a smaller diameter than the carbide so once the carbide went through the bottom of the sink material I lost some tightness from the guide bit, which roughened the cut up a bit. The faucet flange is big enough to cover the area around the inch and a quarter that was cut up some. If I needed a real clean Inch and a quarter hole I'd probably use something else, but this worked well.
Thanks all
Butzmark wrote:

cool deal
yeah I suspect a precision cut would require a at leats a $30 - $50 spade bit probaly just a solid heavy bit, not a hole saw type *the spade bit I bought for drilling cermic didn't have grit
I always like it when I have the right tools for a job