Drilling a hole ?

I want to drill a hole in a Tapered brass base. How can i drill it straight down without a drill press ? I don't think i can make a dimple in it with a hammer & punch because it might crack.

If you think a punch will crack the item, why do you think the drill will not crack it?
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 14:39:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

Most men drill holes with their penis !!!!! :)
On Dec 3, 9:39 am, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

Perhaps because drilling is a slow, steady pressure process as opposed to the sharp blow from a hammer and a chisel.
Let's see, if I wanted to drill through a piece of tile, which method would I choose? Hmmmm, I wonder.

Who said anything about a sharp blow or a chisel?

Well, I've certainly used a punch and very gentle tap with a hammer to mark the spot before drilling tile. Done it many times -- to avoid the bid skidding off the glaze. It's not the only way to break through the glaze and prevent skid but it does work and very well.
Making a dimple in a very soft metal like brass won't take much force at all. Drilling a hole in it will require a lot more energy.
If you can't make a tiny dimple without cracking the thing, I very much doubt the item will survive drilling.
If its that important, take it to a machine shop that has a drillpress. It cant take more than 5 minutes so even if they charge $50 an hour, it's less than $10.

Drill the dimple square to the surface, then change the angle to what you want.
Bob

How thick is this brass material that it would make a difference wether you drill in square to the surface or straight down ? depending on the thickness and the angle I might drill in square with a slightly smaller drill and then straight down with the full size.