Drill sunglasses?

What would be a safe way to drill a hole in the lens of sunglasses without shattering the lens? The hole can be 1/4 or 1/2 inch in diameter. Maybe a hot iron? Maybe water cooled drill? Maybe a drop of acid?
Bill W.
I'd go with a low speed, lower pressure, diamond tipped drill.

Take them to the optometrist?
Glass or plastic? If plastic, there is no problem. You can use a regular twist drill. Start with a small drill about 1/8 and work up.
Glass is going to be a problem as glass lenses are tempered. If you require a glass lens then you are probably going to have to get a lens blank from an optician and drill it while the glass is soft.
Now why in the heck are you drilling a hole in a lens?
--

Roger Shoaf

Assuming plastic lenses: http://www.plasticsmag.com/features.asp?fIssue=Sep/Oct-01
That was a right on target response, Frank. Thank you and I'll report results later. Bill

International) that there is some detailed literature on the internet: http://www.lucitecp.com/literature.asp I believe most lenses are polycarbonate but machining plastics is fairly general. Frank
Sorry, I forgot to say plastic. If successful I'll reveal the objective later. Thanks to all for help. Bill