DRILL DOCTOR ???

Hi all,
I'm contemplating getting a "Drill Doctor" to sharpen my drill bits, both at home and at my auto repair shop. What do you think of it, and what model do you recommend ???
RON =======================================================Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
I have a 750, although it is the older one. I had it for years before I used it the first time. If you follow directions, it does what it says it will do. I have heard that people have trouble with smaller bits. I have sharpened many bits on it, and they work a whole lot better. It is quick and easy to use, and doesn't take long to learn how. I would recommend it. Purists will disagree, but for the newbie who doesn't want to spend a lot of time learning how to sharpen bits "properly", it works just fine.
Steve

It might be a good idea for Ron, but for most homeowners, they likely can buya life time supply of new bits for less than the cost of one Drill Doctor.

Mine was a gratuity for doing special work for Drill Doctor during a convention in Las Vegas. I have three indexes of drill bits, plus handfuls of miscellaneous other ones. One index is total Chinese crap. Good for drilling wood or soft butter. The other drill bits on the market aren't much better. Unless you buy good quality drill bits, and then they run $3 per and up. If one does any drilling at all, a Drill Doctor can be amortized quickly, especially if those drill bits are above 1/4" in size. Drill Doctors run from $60 to $120, IIRC. I can get used bits all day long at yard sales for a dime to a half a buck for the big ones.
And then there's the time when you smoke a bit in the middle of the project, usually at 7:30 PM. Do you quit and run to the store, which is either closed or some distance away? Or do you simply sharpen the bit and continue working? Working with sharp bits increases productivity and shortens production time. Also drills a better hole. And if you're like me, chances are the bit you pick is dull.
A Drill Doctor makes sense for me. YMMV.
Steve
Ron in NY wrote:

There are videos on the web (YouTube?) that instruct you in sharpening drill bits freehand. Looks like just a flick of the wrist...
Might give that a go first.
It don't cost much.
rick rodgers had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/DRILL-DOCTOR-361515-.htm :
------------------------------------- Ron in NY wrote:

I have had one for years and get about 50% of what I call sharp bits out of it. Thats better than any other gadget I have tried. Rick
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 342536 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

We have one at work and it does a good job. I don't know that it had paid for itself yet though. At home I could not justify buying one. I can buy a lot of the typical bits I use for the price of the DD.
You can buy a lot of drill bits for the price of a DD
On Feb 26, 6:40pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Ron in NY) wrote:

Ask a friendly machinist to show you how to sharpen drill bits. Any size around 3/16"and up is a snap. All sizes below that buy in bulk from Enco or similar (www.use-enco.com). Did this in my repair shop for 35 years. You can make piloted drill bits from standard ones on a valve grinder, BTW.
Joe
I worked for a fellow years ago, who taught me how to sharpen bits using a bench grinder. So, I've never used a DD. I guess the question is how many bits you use. Aparently, DD work, or so the other folks say.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus