Drill Decision

I've got a HF 18 volt impact driver. Charged it a couple weeks ago, and then yesterday the battery was dead. I am sort of tempted to get a drill to go with it, and just live with having to charge it before use.

A friend suggests Dewalt, with lifetime battery replacement guarantee, and batteries that hold charge.

So, I've got the HF thing, and it's a hundred bucks for a Dewalt. Maybe I'll catch 18 volt Chicago drill on sale, and then I'll have a tool system....

or should I spend the big bucks and quit the HF routine?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When I was still working I saw one of my customers using a Dewalt and asked him if it was any good. He told me to get a Milwaukee.

I did and it's the best cordless drill I've ever owned.

It uses a very small battery but it's extremely powerful and charges extremely fast. I got a deal when I bought the drill and have a total of three batteries but have never been on a job so tough I've had to use more than the 2nd one.

It has a lot of torque and just plain works great.

philo

A Chicago ain't a Milwaukee. I've never owned a cordless drill. There were a couple of times one would have been handy but I got the job done with a hand drill. For very occasional use like that I might go the HF Chicago route. If I were using it a lot I would go for the Milwaukee or DeWalt.

Reply to
rbowman

Depends on your clientele...

If you buy a Hilti, some baptist will prolly swipe it from you.

If you buy a China Harbor Freight, no one will bother.

Reply to
Carnivore

I'd quit the HF routine. Working as a tradesman you need good tools. Cheap crap might be OK for occasional use for a homeowner like me but even I do not buy their crap anymore.

Reply to
Frank

Ah, yes. I'm pretty much in the mission field, so I'd best to buy HF stuff. Not like if I lived in Happy Valley.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There is great wisdom in what you write.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I try to apply logic to my decisions but am always out for bargains myself.

Reply to
Frank

At present, money isn't easily available. So, a few minutes precharging a HF drill before the job is less painful than $100 for a Dewalt.

It's the Obama economy.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

HF is good for some things, like hand tools and some corded power tools like their decent port-a-band clone, but not for anything cordless. Go with Makita's 18V LXT and the brushless version of the drill and driver, they are great.

Reply to
Pete C.

primecell.com rebuilds the battery packs with new cells much better than the originals, and its affordable:)

I think the feds hould pass a law requiring all products to have easily replaceable cells in everything.

tossing a drill because of a bad cell just adds to the waste stream a lot....

Reply to
bob haller

You know darn well that in the long run it will be cheaper to buy a quality product such as a Milwaukee drill.

Reply to
philo

DeWalt is higher quality B&D...but both Milw and DeW are now made in China! I bought a higher priced Ryobi with a lithium battery (company owned it) and it was excellent! But I can't remember the model...but was $150 about 2 yrs ago.

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

Remember the old saying "you get what you pay for".

Cheap tools like Harbour Freight are fine for tasks you will perform once or very rarely. For example, my HF spring compressor works fine for changing struts in my car, but I've only used it twice in the last 5-10 years. Of course, you can usually rent better quality tools for these situations instead of buying cheap tools.

On the other hand, a cordless drill is something you're likely to use often. It just makes more sense to invest in good tools for frequent or long term usage. The Dewalt will cost more upfront, but it will hold up better and last longer. Not to mention you're more likely to find replacement parts when it does come time to service the tool.

Buying cheap is rarely a wise decision. You end up having to buy multiple items when one good item would have performed better and lasted longer. This applies to shoes, clothes, lawn mowers, tools, etc.

When I was younger I often bought cheap sockets and ratchets to save money. Nine times out of ten they would break or strip out when I needed them most (usually at the expense of my knuckles). After going through several sets of cheap sockets I finally invested in high quality Craftsman sockets and haven't had one break or strip in over 25 years.

For what it's worth, I have the 20V Dewalt drill/driver/light combination and have been very happy with it. Lots of power and the batteries last a long time.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Hi, I have DeWalt kit a screw driver, drill and batteries ~10 years I have been using it. No problem yet. But new ones seems more compact in size.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I still have a DeWalt 9.6V drill (Made in USA) that is about 18 yrs old...i t still works but the batteries puke-out pretty fast now! I also have a Mak ita that is old too...but holds a charge still. I bought it for $10 @ a gar age sale...it probably didn't get used much.

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

18 volt nicad, $48. Plus postage. I'd dare to guess much better quality. Sadly, it's putting jewlelry on a grondhog, it's still a goundhog.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, you're darn right. A poor man cannot afford a cheap shirt.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As many say "you get what you pay for" and whle I too have several HF tools, for something I use all the time I decided on a Bosch cordless. Best damn drill driver I've ever owned or used. Includes two Lio batts that are small and recharge in 30 mins. So on large jobs I can work with one and by the time it runs out the other will be totally recharged.

Just my $.02 worth.

Reply to
BobMCT

Most posters are bragging on their old DeWalt tools. I too have a old one that is still working well, but the key factor is that old tools were made here in the USA by DeWalt. Then they merged with B&D and the quality went d own. Now they are made in China and the quality is down further. So you j ust can't recommend DeWalt based upon their older good quality tools vs wha t they make today.

Reply to
RedAlt5