Drill Decision

Page 1 of 2
I've got a HF 18 volt impact driver. Charged it a couple weeks ago, and then yesterday the battery was dead. I am sort of tempted to get a drill to go with it, and just live with having to charge it before use.
A friend suggests Dewalt, with lifetime battery replacement guarantee, and batteries that hold charge.
So, I've got the HF thing, and it's a hundred bucks for a Dewalt. Maybe I'll catch 18 volt Chicago drill on sale, and then I'll have a tool system....
or should I spend the big bucks and quit the HF routine?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 06/18/2014 08:34 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

When I was still working I saw one of my customers using a Dewalt and asked him if it was any good. He told me to get a Milwaukee.
I did and it's the best cordless drill I've ever owned.
It uses a very small battery but it's extremely powerful and charges extremely fast. I got a deal when I bought the drill and have a total of three batteries but have never been on a job so tough I've had to use more than the 2nd one.
It has a lot of torque and just plain works great.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200623949_200623949
Stormin Mormon wrote:

A Chicago ain't a Milwaukee. I've never owned a cordless drill. There were a couple of times one would have been handy but I got the job done with a hand drill. For very occasional use like that I might go the HF Chicago route. If I were using it a lot I would go for the Milwaukee or DeWalt.
On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:06:46 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

I agree with you about DeWalt.
I have a 20 Volt rechargeable and corded Drill and am extremely pleased with them.
On 06/18/2014 09:34 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Depends on your clientele...
If you buy a Hilti, some baptist will prolly swipe it from you.
If you buy a China Harbor Freight, no one will bother.
On 6/19/2014 4:43 AM, Carnivore wrote:

Ah, yes. I'm pretty much in the mission field, so I'd best to buy HF stuff. Not like if I lived in Happy Valley.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, June 19, 2014 3:43:50 AM UTC-5, Carnivore wrote:

DeWalt is higher quality B&D...but both Milw and DeW are now made in China! I bought a higher priced Ryobi with a lithium battery (company owned it) and it was excellent! But I can't remember the model...but was $150 about 2 yrs ago.
On 6/18/2014 9:34 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd quit the HF routine. Working as a tradesman you need good tools. Cheap crap might be OK for occasional use for a homeowner like me but even I do not buy their crap anymore.
On 6/19/2014 8:43 AM, Frank wrote:

There is great wisdom in what you write.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/19/2014 8:48 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I try to apply logic to my decisions but am always out for bargains myself.
On 6/19/2014 9:16 AM, Frank wrote:

At present, money isn't easily available. So, a few minutes precharging a HF drill before the job is less painful than $100 for a Dewalt.
It's the Obama economy.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 06/19/2014 08:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You know darn well that in the long run it will be cheaper to buy a quality product such as a Milwaukee drill.
On 6/19/2014 11:00 AM, philo wrote:

Yes, you're darn right. A poor man cannot afford a cheap shirt.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 06/19/2014 05:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Well, most of my clothes come from Goodwill.
Even though I *occasionally* spend some money on expensive clothing, most of my pants I just get for $3
The store is just two blocks from here and it's a lot easier that driving to a department store.
Over the years, I always regretted getting the cheap cordless drills. Dumbest thing is I was working and could just put it on my expense account anyway.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

HF is good for some things, like hand tools and some corded power tools like their decent port-a-band clone, but not for anything cordless. Go with Makita's 18V LXT and the brushless version of the drill and driver, they are great.
primecell.com rebuilds the battery packs with new cells much better than the originals, and its affordable:)
I think the feds hould pass a law requiring all products to have easily replaceable cells in everything.
tossing a drill because of a bad cell just adds to the waste stream a lot....
On 6/19/2014 10:56 AM, bob haller wrote:

18 volt nicad, $48. Plus postage. I'd dare to guess much better quality. Sadly, it's putting jewlelry on a grondhog, it's still a goundhog.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Remember the old saying "you get what you pay for".
Cheap tools like Harbour Freight are fine for tasks you will perform once or very rarely. For example, my HF spring compressor works fine for changing struts in my car, but I've only used it twice in the last 5-10 years. Of course, you can usually rent better quality tools for these situations instead of buying cheap tools.
On the other hand, a cordless drill is something you're likely to use often. It just makes more sense to invest in good tools for frequent or long term usage. The Dewalt will cost more upfront, but it will hold up better and last longer. Not to mention you're more likely to find replacement parts when it does come time to service the tool.
Buying cheap is rarely a wise decision. You end up having to buy multiple items when one good item would have performed better and lasted longer. This applies to shoes, clothes, lawn mowers, tools, etc.
When I was younger I often bought cheap sockets and ratchets to save money. Nine times out of ten they would break or strip out when I needed them most (usually at the expense of my knuckles). After going through several sets of cheap sockets I finally invested in high quality Craftsman sockets and haven't had one break or strip in over 25 years.
For what it's worth, I have the 20V Dewalt drill/driver/light combination and have been very happy with it. Lots of power and the batteries last a long time.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi, I have DeWalt kit a screw driver, drill and batteries ~10 years I have been using it. No problem yet. But new ones seems more compact in size.
I still have a DeWalt 9.6V drill (Made in USA) that is about 18 yrs old...i t still works but the batteries puke-out pretty fast now! I also have a Mak ita that is old too...but holds a charge still. I bought it for $10 @ a gar age sale...it probably didn't get used much.