drill bits for fixing downspout

I want to make some modifications to a downspout, so I'll need to drill into the downspout (= sheet metal) and masonry (to attach strap to mortar layer between brick).
I figure I need a masonry bit for the masonry, but do I need a "special" bit for the sheet metal, or will my plain jane bits (which I usually think of as for wood) do fine?
TIA,

A bit for wood will work ok for aluminum. It migt have tendency to grab as it breaks through. Best bet is to slip a piece of wood between the downspout and the masonry. This will let you have a more solid backer for the aluminum and will keep you from hitting the masonry and dulling the bit.
Charlie

Any decent sharp bit will do fine, but use a center punch first to keep it from walking around and messing up the finish on the downspout. Keep in mind that some experts do not like to drill into brick mortar because freeze-thaw cycles will cause problems with the brickwork. They prefer drilling into the brick and using plastic screw plugs. It may be slower, but you won't be doing dozens of holes, so any decent carbide masonry bit will work just fine.
Joe

Tapcon bit and screws to match the bit for the masonry portion.
I don't use bits for the sheet metal part. I use #6 Stainless 1/4" hex head screws 1/2" long.
Some people use 1/8" bit and 1/8"x 1/4" pop rivets. Yes the standard high speed drill bit.
--
Colbyt
woger151 wrote:

I just use self-tapping hex-head screws, commonly called pole-barn screws around here, for the metal-to-metal joints. Use the smallest that will work- the pointy ends inside the pipe are what the leaves catch on. Fast and painless, compared to trying to line up loose parts from the top of the stepladder. Just stick the screw in the driver bit on the cordless, poke, and pull the trigger.
-- aem sends...