Drill bit sharpening Service

I've met at least a few folks who don't have the wrist motion for sharpening drill bits. As it happens, I was shown many years ago.

Anyone out there think there is money to be made, perhaps a mail order drill bit sharpening service?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm sure a few do, but I think you'll not make much at all. Anyone who needs it a lot but doesn't have the wrost motion can buy a jig, those who don't need it alot just buy new bits. As a side action, it may not be too bad: say if you're already offering a sharpening service, but for the most part, you're not going to see much call for this sort of work, IMHO.

John

Reply to
raven

Doubtful much money to be made.......FWIW, I usually buy new drills by the dozen in the smaller sizes--prices generally average about $1.00 each....so theyre actually pretty cheap....(and besides, I cant really afford the possible quality issues that might arise from offhand re-sharpening )

BTW, the reasonable salvage value of unsorted but generally sharp ( often unused, even ) drills runs ~ $.50 to about $3.00 / lb.

SEE:

<

Admittedly, ebay prices are often quite a bit higher--esp. for the larger drills.....this probly because somebody has put considerable time and effort into inspection, sorting, sharpening, inventory, marketing, packaging etc.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Doubtful considering the Drill Doctor. This thing is simple, fairly inexpensive, and tends to work pretty well. I think people who even think about sharpening drill bits vs. throwing them out will either a) be able to sharpen them themselves or b) would get a drill doctor. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I smirked when my brother got me one for christmas.

Until I used it.

It works well!

Reply to
JohnH

Well, when I see higher end tool retailers selling it, I tend to believe it works. Sorta like the "roto zip" started out as an infomercial tool, now owned by Bosch! And pretty darn popular and useful!

I'd go with the drill Dr. too

hazen

Stormin,

I started sharpening drill bits and repairing broken bits for my father when I was in my teens. He had a simple and inexpensive jig which made the process nearly foolproof. The modern setup that I now own is equally simple and reliable. It even does a perfect job on masonry bits. And scissors. And it really didn't cost very much - about $40.

As others have said, I can't see anybody with many drill bits paying for sharpening when they can do it themselves so easily. Those with fewer bits can just buy cheap replacements as needed. And there are always those who spend their entire lives not realizing that their cutting implements are dull.

The only only possible way that I'd see somebody making a bit of extra income sharpening bits:

If you already have a small business with a lot of repeat customers who don't tend to fix everything themselves. For example, I've got a neighbor who repairs lawnmowers and other small gas engine gear. He operates out of his garage. This is his retirement "hobby" and source of some extra money. I could see him operating a sideline sharpening business. The customers are located nearby they could do the drop off and pick up.

Even so, just how much is somebody going to pay your to sharpen 16 drill bits in a set that he bought for $18? Especially if most in the set are still reasonably sharp, which is often the case.

Good Luck, Gideon

Anyone out there think there is money to be made, perhaps a mail order drill bit sharpening service?

Reply to
Gideon

I have the Drill Doctor and recently sharpened my 2 sets of drills and was looking around for more. Great tool.

Reply to
Paul O.

Like you say, even with postage it's still got to be cheap enough to make it worth folks trouble.

Well, might not work out after all.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon