Dried wallpaper paste/glue that is not water soluble?

Tried today to remove old wallpaper from a bathroom. The vinyl easily pulled off the wall leaving only the paper backing and glue, this is going to be easy I thought. Used a garden sprayer with warm water in it and soaked walls (and ceiling, stuff was there as well!) waited and then tried to go to work.

Even with the walls entirely soaked the glue would not give.

I was able to isolate some of the glue, it balled up and felt like rubber and smashing it between wet fingers would not dissolve it?

It was almost as if the wallpaper was installed with wood glue.

The wallpaper could be 15 or more years old. Are there wallpaper glues which dry and would not be water soluble?

Thank you for any help.

Reply to
andy everett

Get some wallpaper remover solution maybe laundry detergent might help an enzime in the soap should break it down

Reply to
ransley

Reply to
Andrew Duane

Sounds like someone installed with VOV, AKA vinyl-over-vinyl past, AKA border adhesive. If it is, and you are going to repaper with something reasonably thick, just leave it in place. If you are going to paint you will need to skin coat or install a lining canvas.

Reply to
NickySantoro