Dremel tool : Can it be used to cut drywall?

I want to cut drywall back to the center of joists. Cutting to the edge of the joists isn't a problem using a combo of a drywall saw and utility knife. However, to cut back further to the center of the joist is pretty labor intensive.I was wondering if a Dremel tool could do that job? Looking for something less expensive than a router, which is used for cutting arond electrical outlets, but I assume a router can also be used for cutting drywall back to the center of joists..

Reply to
Doe John

Dremel makes a router attachment that comes with some cutter blades.

It is not terribly expensive, and does work; thought it takes some practice to make straight cuts.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Set the depth just shy of the wood and go for it. Watch out for nails/screws.

Reply to
Amos

You can buy the bit that is used for the Rotozip and put it in your Dremel. Works great and I like using it more than the Rotozip.

Reply to
ConRes

And make an incredible amount of dust with either. Just use the knife with a straightedge to get started. A few pulls will have you right down to the stud.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

I agree with this response. The dust will be one helluva mess. However, if you insist on doing this method, I would use a cordless drill and an inside PVC pipe cutter wheel. You can get them at most hardware stores and they're inexpensive. The reason I wouldn't use a Dremel is that it doesn't have enough balls to do the job and as Bob mentioned - the dust will fly everywhere (not a problem if the room is empty.)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Most painless way I've found to do this is to whack off a sabre saw blade short enough to cut just the panel thickness and chalk line mark. Corners and panel bottoms need to be done by hand, some dust generated but not nearly as much as you would expect. If you're cutting perpendicular to the joists, a saber saw will be very effective. I've used one to make electrical cutouts for years with neat precise fits that are preferred by NEC code. So far as cost of the tool, any Harbor Freight or other bargain brand is perfectly adequate. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

'nuther Bob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The dust will also chew up the bearings in the Dremel. Perhaps you could use a Shop-Vac with it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Using a utility knife and a saw also creates a ton of dust in my case. Thanks for all the responses

Reply to
Doe John