Dreaded attic mold... just found it

up in my attic today... found black mold.

All along one side... growing up inside plywood surface. about 2 feet up. Unsure if it is down below insulation. Black in color, but not shiny. If memory serves,"shiny" black is really nasty stuff. I think this is common stuff/

No other evidence of water damage, did find bathroom fan vented into attic... lots of people live in house, so lot of humid air has been pumped up there, Could that have caused it?

New roof about 7 years ago, no evidence of leaks.

No respiratory problems noticed in house.

What is first move after properly venting bathrooms, would like to mediate it myself if possible. can I toss out old insulation, wash down with bleach & replace insulation? What else needed?,

Reply to
Jack

bath should not vent into attic...

get a spray bottle with bleach and water and spray it directly onto the mold.

check it a week later and check it once per year

spray again as required

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Probably the bath fan, dont use it till its properly vented. Get a garden sprayer use straight bleach [ its 97-98 % water anyway] and spray, I would not worry about the insulation now, if the problem is the fan it will clear up and die. If not it will return and it means you lack venting. If you have eave vents be sure all are uncovered .

Reply to
m Ransley

That would do it. Particularly as it gets colder outside causing the supersaturated air to condense it's water onto the cold walls.

Here's more than I ever want to know about bathroom venting

I'm certainly no expert on this sort of thing, but air doesn't usually go from the attic into the habitable area of the house, so unless this is extensive (your post suggests it's not).

I wouldn't dry the area until I'd dealt with the mold or when it dries out the spores will become airborne.

The first thing I would do is spray bleach (6 water to 1 bleach) on the obvious mold to kill it.

Then vent the bathroom to the outside. Then be sure your attic is adequately ventilated.

I googled these articles. Didn't read them.

jim

Reply to
jim evans

Jack wrote: ..>

Yea. Someone violated the rule to never vent a bath fan to the attic. It is a common "error" made by cheap builders who don't care.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan