Drawer wood

I have to re-build a drawer for a kitchen cabinet, and it's a 1/2" (maesured) hardwood. But finding replacement "drawer wood" is somehow difficult. Modern drawers are 3/4in; big box stores (HD, Lowe's) have selections of 3/4" but not 1/2", and poking a bit on the internet I see notations for hardwood thicknesses of 4/4, 6/4, 8/4. but nothing resembling (as I understand it) what might be called 2/4<?> I'm going to a real lumber yard this weekend. Anything information that would help me out would be appreciated. --jim

Rarely do you see 1/2" wood. You can buy plywood that thickness. If I need 1/2" I take the next larger size and plane it down. Easy for me as I do woodworking for a hobby and have the equipment. Most people don't. How about friends or neighbor that may do woodwork? With a bandsaw you can take even thicker wood and re-saw it to the dimension you want.
Where do you live? How much do you need? Perhaps someone in your area will do it for you at a nominal cost.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

A planer...wery nice. Perhaps later. There is a fellow in the neighborhood that got a circular saw for some holiday and he's been cutting on something every weekend for months, now. I'll ask around, around here (Albany, NY). Thanks.

Home Depot and Lowes usually always sell Poplar and Oak in 1/2" thicknesses (in 2' and 4' lengths).
Anthony
On 21 Jun 2006 19:31:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I find this hard to believe. Drawers sides are typically 1/2" thick. Drawers with 3/4" thick sides are unusual, heavy, and take up additional drawer space. However, drawer fronts are often 3/4" thick or more. For your situation, you might consider a furniture-quality 9-ply (possibly birch) that is sold at Home Depot. This ply doesn't have the voids common with most ply, and it is imported (I believe from Russia). Not cheap, but you don't need much for your drawer fix.
Commonly called: "Baltic Birch"

Phisherman wrote:

I found it hard to believe, as well. Not only my kitchen cabinet drawers, but also the drawers in a desk and dresser I have from the '60's, and even a new dresser from an unfinisher furniture shop all use 1/2 in stock for back and sides. I've heard of that "Baltic Birch" but was unaware HD carried it. I'll go check. Heck, even some free dresser plans from Popular Mechanics on the web use 1/2in stock for sides and back.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

With a cabinet shop.