Drat. I have been using TCW-3 two-stroke oil in my chainsaw gas:oil mixture for two years

Page 1 of 2
I just realized, when I bought a new gas can to mix a new batch of 50:1 two-stroke oil for my chainsaw, that I have been using TCW-3 two-stroke oil for the past two years.
https://c3.staticflickr.com/3/2948/15311871558_5ccd716ed0_b.jpg
Drat!
On Friday, October 10, 2014 2:01:33 PM UTC-6, Danny D. wrote:

YOUR CHAINSAW HAS A TWO-STROKE ENGINE. So what is the problem? ====
On 10/10/2014 4:01 PM, Danny D. wrote:

concern. Is that outboard motor oil?
Drat, what?
Incidentally, not seen you in a couple days. I hope you are healthy and well?
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 18:14:54 -0400:

See the manual right next to the oil in the picture in the OP.
https://c3.staticflickr.com/3/2948/15311871558_5ccd716ed0_b.jpg
It's at the top right corner of the rightmost page.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3940/15313024388_499e7e880d_c.jpg
Under the header "Fuel Handling", and the tag "Two-Stroke Oil". It says: - Never use two-stroke oil intended for water-cooled engines, sometimes referred to as outboard oil (rated TCW).
I hate it when things say not to use something but they don't say why, but, it's there, so, I've clearly been using the wrong oil.
Googling, I find this ruined engine, reputedly due to the oil: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Luckily, mine isn't ruined.
On 10/10/2014 6:56 PM, Danny D. wrote:

CY: I saw the manual. It is like trying to read a postage stamp on the bumper of the car in front of me.

for me to read.

CY: Oops, that's not good.

detail, wasn't sure what was your concern.
Roy wrote, on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:37:26 -0700:

The owners manual says *never* use TCW rated oil, and, googling, I find multiple instances of reputed blown chainsaw engines as a result.
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002210.html
On 10/10/2014 6:58 PM, Danny D. wrote:

One of the few things I remember from the small engine course I took, the outboards are water cooled, and they run cooler. Air cooled like your saw runs 100 degrees or so hotter. it's very wise to keep the saw clean of dust after each use, and try to clean the oil and crud off the cooling fins. At least, that's what the guy said.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, October 10, 2014 4:58:36 PM UTC-6, Danny D. wrote:

I can appreciate your concern BUT did you see the machines on your oil container? Doesn't that tell you pretty well that it is an ALL-PURPOSE type oil?
On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 20:01:33 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

TCW3 is not an oil rated for the temperature a chainsaw operates at. It is not going to blow up right away but you will see more wear than you should, in theory. If this is a Homelite or Ryobi, you will probably throw it away for other reasons before the engine actually wears out tho.
gfretwell wrote, on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 19:55:43 -0400:

I guess that means the TCW-rated oil doesn't "cool" the engine as well as whatever rating it is that I should get.

Makes sense, if the engine isn't being cooled right.

It's a Husqvarna 445, but I think it's the same oil I had used on a Craftsman (aka Poulon) chainsaw, which ended up siezing on me just after the warranty period expired.
When they took it apart they said it had scored pistons, and I asked what I could possibly have done to score the pistons after just about 10 uses.
On 10/10/2014 8:17 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Please consider pour that gas in your car (or your wife's car) fuel tank, and buy some oil that's rated for the saw.
Hope your saw's not badly damaged.
Roy wrote, on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 17:41:23 -0700:

That's what I had thought too.
But, only recently, did I notice the line "Never" to use TCW-rated oil in the owners manual for my 18" Husqvarna 445.
Bear in mind, my first chain saw ever, was a Craftsman (aka Poulon) 18" chainsaw which died in about a year of just occassional use.
When I had it taken apart, they told me it had "scored pistons".
I had used the exact same oil, and nobody used the chainsaw but me, and I did NOT abuse it. Yet, it died, all the same, after only about 10 uses.
In fact, the only thing I could save was the black plastic chainsaw carrier that you see my Husky in, in my photo below.
https://c3.staticflickr.com/3/2944/15385110011_944028f121.jpg
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 20:31:02 -0400:

Serves me right for buying my two-stroke oil at the auto parts store.
Googling for two stroke oil at Home Depot, I find it's about 80 bucks a gallon, out the door, in quart-sized increments.
HOME DEPOT: $80/gallon $9 for 16 oz. 2-Cycle 50:1 Motor Oil for Engines ECHO Model # 6450006, Internet # 100033949, Store SKU # 551696 http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-16-oz-2-Cycle-50-1-Motor-Oil-for-Engines-6450006/100033949
LOWES: $80/gallon $9 for 16 oz. Pro Mix 16-oz ProMix 2-Cycle Oil Item #: 188579 | Model #: 54004 http://www.lowes.com/pd_188579-30102-54004_4294641542__?productId59323
On Friday, October 10, 2014 7:10:58 PM UTC-6, Danny D. wrote:

One other thing Danny is your 50/1 ratio for your mix. I never run that lean...have always gone with 40/1 or even 30/1 in really hot weather. As long as it will start and run the extra oil won't hurt other than the heavy smoke. ===
On 10/11/2014 12:59 PM, Roy wrote:

always gone with 40/1 or even 30/1 in really hot weather. As long as it will start and run the extra oil won't hurt other than the heavy smoke.
Fouls plugs sooner, and may carbon the muffler.
That said, I've never had 32:1 smoke or do that. I have been using 32:1 for decade or more.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 19:16:49 -0400:

I do have cleaning solutions in my "kit".
https://c3.staticflickr.com/3/2948/15314847500_120b5b5fc6_b.jpg
For example, you'll notice the brass wire brush and the air spray to clean out the oil holes in the bar.
The one thing I need to *remove* from my chainsaw kit is that TCW-3 oil, in favor of whatever 2-stroke oil is properly used for air-cooled engines.
On 10/11/2014 12:59 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Saw, not bar. Around the gasoline engine, there should be some fins for cooling. On my saw, the starter cord turns the flywheel. The flywheel has fins to move cooling air over the saw body. Helps keep the engine cool.
On 10/11/2014 12:59 AM, Danny D. wrote:

and has a couple photos: http://northernwoodlands.org/articles/article/trick
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 19:14:11 -0400:

My concern was mostly that the prior chainsaw lasted fewer than a dozen uses before it scored its own pistons to death:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3938/15501581125_4d0eece5ed_b.jpg
I remember *exactly* what happened to that Craftsman 358.351800 (Poulon) 18" chainsaw the day it died.
All of a sudden, the engine started speeding up faster and faster and faster. I didn't realize what was happening until it was too late.
After about five or ten minutes of that speeded-up-engine, the engine never started again. When I had it looked at, they said the pistons were scored, and that it would cost more than it's worth, to fix.
Maybe it was the oil?
https://c3.staticflickr.com/3/2949/15314988707_69768e79a2_c.jpg
I don't know. But I never abused that saw, and it barely lasted.
I swore I'd never buy another Craftsman gas-motor tool ever again, so, that's why I bought the Husqvarna to replace it.
On 10/11/2014 1:07 AM, Danny D. wrote:

No, that is not the problem. You had the same problem that I had with my Homelite saw. It was cheap enough to buy and I hardly use the saw so it is good enough. A hundred bucks later, we know that is is NOT "good enough" but it is a POS.
Get a Stihl and be done with it. You will never need another saw.