Draining Amtrol WH-7z indirect hot water heater

Hi, Recently had a well pump replaced and my pump guy is telling me I have to drain my hot water heater to remove sediment.

He is saying that I have to "shut off" the water heater to ensure it doesn't "burn out".

How to I turn off the water heater and how can I make sure that I restart the system safely?

Can I just turn the water off to all the input piping and then drain it and then turn them back on?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
emailwaste

Is it a gas or electric water heater?

If electric, turn it off. Usually at the breaker box, sometimes by unplugging it (if it has a plug and is not hard wired).

If gas, turn the control knob to pilot. You may have to press the knob in while turning.

To clean: No need to turn water off. You need the water coming in to flush it. Connect a garden hose to the drain. Lead the other end to a place that water won't flood, and open the drain valve for 30-60 seconds. Close drain valve, remove and put hose away, turn on water heater. Done.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

Piece of cake.

1) turn off boiler 2) drain amtrol. Turn water on and off several times when the tank is empty to 'flush' 3) close drain on Amtrol and allow to refill 4) Turn boiler back on.
Reply to
HeatMan