Draining a clog

I had a guy over who used the electric snake into my pipes. Along the way, I would ash him some questions and a rarity, he answered them. Some took me by suprise and was wondering by mentioning them here, if a bonafide plumber can verify some of the things he said and done. First, I asked him to look and snake my separate drain pipe for my washer. I had attached one of those netted lint traps that went down the drain, so to speak. I had it tied to the pipe, but apparently the gush of water as the washer was draining just ate it up. He said he would have to add water into that pipe as he snakes..cannot snake a dry pipe, he said. Also, he told me to go upstairs in my kitchen and run the cold water with a gallon of bleach. He also said never use the commercial drain bottles..draino, liquid plumber and etc., because they have acid and acid can rust up your pipes. It sounded logical, but then again I'm not a plumber.
Boothbay wrote:

Well, I would say that everything he said was true to one degree or another.
Adding water when snaking is likely a good idea, but I would not say it is 100% necessary.
I doubt of the water and bleach will do any good. I would say the same for the drain cleaners. He should be able to take care of that drain.
I suggest that using commercial drain cleaners is not always a good idea. If I were a plumber, I would not want to work on a job where someone had been trying to fix it with that stuff. It is corrosive, but I would not worry too much about it damaging the pipes. But I sure would not use it just as a prevention as some people do.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Thanks, but I did say in my post that I was hopeing to get a response from a bonfide plumber as for experience.
Boothbay wrote:

So if that's who you want a response from you should be posting your quenstions to pdaxs.services.plumbing, I'm sure that you'll hear plenty from them.
Oh, and I suggest that you phrase the subject better, "Draining a clog" doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense, even to a plumber.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

No doubt. Or.. call another professional plumber and ask his experience.