drainage for deck built over dirt

I recently bought a house that has a deck in the backyard off the kitchen, about 4 feet high. The deck is in good shape, however it was built over dirt and whenever it rains its all muddy underneath. Is there something I can put down there for better drainage such as stones.
On 4 Dec 2004 10:21:08 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (MikePier) wrote:

That's my situation. I recently bought some 6x6s to place under the deck and around the perimeter. I bought 24" rebar to hold the planks in place. Landscaping fabric will be fastened to the timbers and a truckload of gravel will fill it. No more muddy mess!
You do not want to remedy a water buildup near your foundation by hiding it with gravel. Gravel doesn't make water go away. You want to restore the slope of the land away from the house, THEN cover it with plastic or landscape fabric or whatever and hold it down with some rocks. -B