Drain water heater ??

We've got a gas water heater, just under 3 years old.
Should I drain it as a routine maintenance procedure or not?? It hasn't been drained so far.
thanks
Jim-Poncin wrote:

It's a FAQ. Been discussed often.
Go to: http://groups.google.com / Do an Advanced Search on this newsgroup for: water heater draining
Jim
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:17:42 GMT, "Jim-Poncin"

My 40 gal gas water heater has about 5 gallons of brown 'muck' in the bottom after 5 years of no draining.
I suppose I'll start draining it every couple of months. That delicate plastic drain valve is still working fine so far, but I take extra care when touching it.
Our new 40 gal gas has a metal valve at the bottom. I asked for the metal quarter turn to replace the plastic but didn't need it.