Drain Tile

I have a house in Vancouver BC and I am building a basement suite the house was built in 1915 and has no drain tiles.The basement appears to have never had a leak as far as I can tell.I am living at the very top of a hill so this may help.When I dug down to look for tile I dug about 16 inches down and was at the bottom of the foundation.The foundation wall is about 1 foot high from the inside of the basement and then wood framing on top of that.Im not sure what type of framing this is called as I am a newbie.THe door to the basement is only about 5 foot 3 high so I want to dig in fron of it and cut the small stairs that are inside the basement down and build a new entrance with a drain,and put in a bigger door Am I inviting trouble or should I do this.Also I dont want to put drain tile all the way to the storm drain just drain to the backyard.Also how far down do I have to dig and do I lay crushed rocks down first in the ditch I dug and then drain tile and backfile with dirt.
Thanks
Spencer