Drain Question

This is a remodel issue. Want to run a drain pipe in the crawl space from a laundry room sink and it will need to be level for about 18" just before it hits the sanitary tee that leads to the waste line. The reason is there is a dryer vent in the way. I'm concerned about how well that section of pipe will drain.

Kevin

Reply to
pakdog

On 7/29/2008 1:08 PM pakdog spake thus:

Short answer: not very.

Drainpipes with insufficient (in this case, no) slope tend to build up solids, as you might imagine.

If you absolutely have to do things this way, how about providing an easy-to-access cleanout at one or, preferably, both ends of that run of drain? Then you could push the gunk out once in a while.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

David,

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm still working on this.

Kevin

Reply to
pakdog

Perfectly level? As long as there's_some_fall (and the pipe doesn't sag), you'll most likely be fine. The dryer vent could possibly be indented slightly to create some fall in the drain if it causes any negative slope. Will the washing machine drain into this sink? Sheer volume of water may be an issue then. HTH. Tom

Reply to
tom

The drain slope is supposed to be a minimum of 1/4" per foot. Maybe you could move the vent 1/4"?

Reply to
Phisherman

Your local permit office will help. Ask them if you can go 18" with no pitch in the pipe.

Reply to
Oren

On 7/29/2008 2:03 PM Oren spake thus:

Good answer.

I still like my idea of putting in cleanouts for the inevitable cleaning-out.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yes, the washer will drain through the same pipe.

Kevin

Reply to
pakdog

I have a similar situation. I installed it 25 years ago and it has not been a problem yet. Gravity still works. Take a length of pipe, say 18" to 30" long and fill it with water. Lay it down of a flat surface. How much water stays in the pipe?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Edwin,

I thought about that aspect but decided to make some adjustments and installed the pipe at an angle without affecting the dryer vent. Plus I now have one less thing to worry about in my house.

Thanks,

Kevin

Reply to
pakdog

Actually not a good answer. If the pipe requires a slope, then it's required. That's it. No one will tell him otherwise, whether it's for

1 inch or 18 inches. He's going to have to mash the dryer vent a little to make some space. Not a big deal.
Reply to
Abe

Personally, I'd rather mash the vent and slope the laundry drain. Who needs a possible clogged laundry drain?

Reply to
Phisherman

On 7/30/2008 12:38 AM Abe spake thus:

Which is apparently just what the OP ended up doing.

Yet another testament to the ability to fix a seemingly hopeless situation by a little judicious bending, twisting, jacking, pinching, prying or otherwise forcing something where you want it to go.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The mouse said to the elephant: "if it don't fit, don't force it".!

Reply to
Oren