drain plug adjustment

I have a pedestal sink in the bathroom. The drain plug is adjusted in a manner where it sits rather low when the plunger is pushed all the way down. The water doesn't drain as one would expect of course but I have noticed something weird. It seems when only the cold water is turned on it drains faster than when just the hot water is turned on. I know heat makes things expand but didn't know that applied to water also.
Obviously the way to correct this draining problem is to adjust the mechanism behind the pedestal to force the plug to sit higher when open. I have fiddled with the adjustment but it doesn't seem to make any difference which hole is selected. Any tips on how to adjust this contraption?
badgolferman wrote:

Yes, under the sink. Look at it. It's self explanatory.
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 07:56:27 -0400, badgolferman

It doesn't enough to matter. You are either imagining it, or the crud around the stopper is affected by temperature.
badgolferman wrote: ...

More than likely the cold water supply is greater than the hot so it's simply coming in faster and leaving at the same rate.
dpb wrote:

Now i don't know. My son told me the other day, that if in his kitchen, on the disposer side of the sink, if he runs cold water, it goes down as fast as it comes in. IF he switches it to hot, it'll start backing up on him. I told him "that sounds weird". But haven't actually looked into it yet.
steve
Steve Barker wrote: ...

I'm willing to bet if you time how long it takes to fill a given container w/ each the difference is in the inlet flow rates not something different in how hot vs cold water runs thru the drain.
dpb wrote:

you may be onto something there. I'll suggest he do some time trials.