drain plug

I am unable to let the water out of my tub. the mechanism that toggles up and dow to seal and unseal the drain appears to be no longer connecting to anything.
impaler wrote:

Remove the 2 screws holding the trip-lever faceplate. Often, the lever has corroded or else the brass lift rod has broken. A good hardware store will have any parts you need.
Check the rubber gasket which is *behind* the tub; it seals the overflow tube to the tub. If the gasket is hardened/broken, water splashing on the faceplate will drip behind.
Jim

Thanks Jim, that was just the direction I needed.