drain fly problem

Over the last couple of years, I have had drain flies I can't get rid of. Last year, I discovered a leak under the sink that had evidently been active for quite some time, but once fixed over time they nearly disappeared.
This year, they have returned with a vengeance. I see them in nearly every room of the house, especially near the transoms, and they are all around the fluorescent light above the kitchen sink. I can't figure out the source. I read that water is the cause yet no more leaks under the sink so what could they be attracted to? And how do I get rid of them?
Thanks, Earlee
I'd try one of those bacterial drain cleaners that you can get in any hardware store. The bacteria will eat the blank gunk in the drain which is the food source for these flies. The real solution is to find their source. Is water dripping behind a wall? Water condensation coming from the air conditioner? Get rid of organic matter near the source..
iwdplz wrote:

orange spherical bugs, or whatever), I find the best way to clear them is with a shop vac, which I immediately empty outside in case any survived the carnival ride. Plus eliminate their food source, of course.
-- aem sends...

And/or spray a little bug spray in the hose while it's running.

I'd rather turn off the shop vac. Cover the end of the hose maybe with a plastic bag and rubber band. Pop the hose off the hole on top of the vac, spray into the hole, and put hose back.
The way those things move air, spraying into a running shop vac just blows bug spray out the exhaust.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Had the odd one near our single bathroom sink; especially the overflow aperture in the front edge of the sink. With sink full of water used the plunger to swish any gunk out of the overflow. Then occasional cup of highly dilute bleach avoids further problems. And yes occasional one around house plants and once or twice near a banana that was getting 'fruity'. BTW there may be condensate from the fridge (especailly in warm humid weather) in either a pan or container behind fridge! Check that as well?

Little black flies about 1 /32" - 1/8", they are mud maggots and also live in dirt. Do you have house plants, toilet wax rings can go bad, if toilet isnt caulked to floor they live there also. Bleach poured down all drains and sprayed at where toilet touches floor will kill them and maybe also bug spray. Do tubs and sinks have the overfill drain holes, get bleach in there also. Somewhere something is wet where molds grow, my problem was toilet bottom not sealed to floor and bad wax ring, and I have found them in plants I bring in in winter and outside dirt I pot plants with. But you say transom, whats that, something is wet to allow them to thrive.