drain cleaning or rotor rooter costs???

i have water comming up through my basement drain. It is city sewer....

Im wondeirng what i can expect to pay rotor rooter or the like to come out and unclog it. I know i know.......you have to know what is wrong before they can give you a price but by that time its too late.

Im just looking for a ball park cost so i can know what to expect to shell out.

any ideas????

Reply to
scale

You can call them and ask them yourself. It is a legitimate question to ask a plumber or any other tradesperson how much they charge. If they can't give you an exact price they may be able to give you a ball park figure.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I would call the city first. If the blockage is in the city main they will clear it for free. At least they do most places. Actually I would open the

2 nearest manhole covers and look but you may not want to do that.

Rotor-Rooter the brand name works on a flat fee basis here. Other rooter services may or may not.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I believe I paid $85 for "Clean Drains" to come about a year ago. It's really worth it, too. It only takes about 10 minutes and there's no mess or aggravation.

But I discovered a pitfall. I was having trouble with a septic run in one bathroom. The drain cleaner (Roto Rooter at that time) came and used the 3" auger which restored the run. At least for about a week and then I repeated the whole sequence. In the end, I discovered the real problem was that the "Orangeburg" pipe had collapsed and the drain guy was just cutting a run through the dirt! PVC is far superior to Orangeburg.

Reply to
Stubby

RR charges about 200$. More on weekends. They also try to sell you a warranty. Try a local plumber though. They may be cheaper and have better service. RR plumbers are big company employees, so their motivation and attention to quality is unpredictable.

Reply to
barker7

A few years ago, a company I worked for had a drain pipe leak and called Roto Rooter. After taking all day to find the clog and clear it, they charged my company around $900. My company assumed that it would be a simple 1-2 hour job and did not get a quote ahead of time since RR is well known.

Reply to
tenplay

Small town USA has rates that start at around $75 to $100. That includes a maximum of 30 minutes from arrival.

Those ads in the paper of $25 service calls usually result in a bill of $325 for the same work.

Reply to
WM

Some advice you didn't ask for:

1) If you own a home, you really should own a decent plumber's snake. Often you can clear an obstruction yourself. Even if you can't, you can generally determine the approximate location of the clog. 2) Always phone the city first if there is any chance that the clog is their responsibility. Using your snake may give you a hint about the location. 3) Ask around. Almost every neighborhood has at least one person who has a long list of reasonably priced handmen. The gentleman that some of us hire for sewer issues charges about 1/2 what Roto-rooter charges. He's got good equipment, including sewer cameras. He's also honest - he questions folks over the phone and advises them to call the city first whenever that seems prudent. 4) Use the phone to get several quotes. Be certain that you understand what you will receive for a fixed price quote over the phone. For example, Roto-rooter may charge $x.xx for a basic call, but then an hourly rate of $y.yy gets tacked on if the service call on-site exceeds 45 minutes. If it is less than 45 minutes, you still pay the flat rate. 5) For all home repairs that you don't feel interested in doing yourself, have your resources lined up before the emergency occurs.

Good luck, Gideon

Reply to
Gideon

RR came out and pulled out tree roots blocking from my main outside access to the street. Damn trees in the front yard. Ill be putting rootx down the main to keep the roots from comming back.

Charged me like $229 for the entire job. I didnt have them snake the floor drain from the basement under the floor to the main 4 inch although the recommended it. That woudl have cost me an addtional $140. That run looks to be only about 5 feet!!

Sick on the charges ...thats for damn sure. Even the rootx they wanted

75 bucks for a 4lb tub. I got it online for like $50.
Reply to
scale

My city does this at no charge. You might want to call City Hall to see if they do as well.

Reply to
chris

Reply to
nospambob