drafty fireplace

I have a fireplace that is somewhat drafty. I performed the old incense test with my whole house fan on and I'm losing money up the chimney. Anyone ever try a chimney ballon?? Any other ideas?? I don't use the fireplace much(2-3 times a year).
TIA
We cut plexiglass to fit fireplace openings. We've anchored some with foam strips along the edge and some with clips anchored to the masonry. One was cut for press fit. TB

Another option if you have a metal (ie. ferrous) screen is to purchase some magnetic sheeting. Cut it to size and place on the screen area. Cheers, cc

We solved that by installing a chimney top damper that is operated by a wire inside the fireplace. The wire pull cord had a flag on it to remind you to open it when starting a fire. A cheaper method: wad up some fiberglas batts up into the flue, from the fire box area. Just remember to pull it out when it's fire time. You could use an old pillowslip to keep the wad of insulation in one place.
You have heat going up and out as I did since my damper was broke , I installed a cap that closes with a cable , then cold air started flowing down and in from the cold chimney cooling air inside it. I screwed in steel L channel recesed in the opening , cut foambord to fit and put magnetic tape on the foamboard with weatherstripping for an airtight seal. I painted it flat black and it just pops in or out for using the fireplace. It made a noticable difference. No doors I saw actualy sealed. A ballon sounds like alot of work to instal and remove and you will still have the cold firebox convecting cold inside.
m Ransley wrote:

great idea! magnetic tape?? Home depot/lowes???
I got the magnetic tape at a local hardware store, so it shouldnt be hard to find. I recessed the channel exactly the thickness of the board. I have 2 pieces of foamboard glued together, one is larger and overlaps the brick outside in front , this is the only way I could figure to get an airtight seal. So I have an R 20 plug that helps alot , the room is warmer.
Roger wrote:

Even cheaper and easier, wadded up newspaper in trash bags.
I made a chimney plug out of some leftover fiberglass insulation wrapped in a couple of layers of light weight cotton canvas (heavy cotton fabric)
works great, I just reach in & yank it out when I want to use the fireplace
cheers Bob
- dk wrote:

It sounds as though you're going to try insulation. If you find it's too dirty or too much of a bother, you may consider a top-mounted damper. RMR has a combination cap/damper called the Ice Breaker that is really nice. The springs are protected from the elements by the cap, and from the byproducts of burning by the damper plate. Installation is pretty easy if you're comfortable accessing your chimney top.
Mark