Drafting tool question

I need one of those pen contraptions that you roll over blueprints and aerial photos that then give a numerical value to the distance traveled. What are they called, and what's a good supplier of them?
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide

http://www.draftingsteals.com/21928.html

I believe you're thinking of a "planimeter".
<http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw 28&bih5&tbm=isch&sa=1&qrtographer+planimeter&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=>
--
Tegger

news.usenetserver.com:

The OP is looking for a "wheeled scale", not a planimeter.
A planimeter is for "measuring" (actually, mechanically summing) the area enclosed by a perimeter.
btw... if anyone needs one, I'd be willing to loan mine out. I bought one on ebay several years ago, I actually needed one.
cheers Bob

The OP is looking for a "wheeled scale", not a planimeter.
A planimeter is for "measuring" (actually, mechanically summing) the area enclosed by a perimeter.
btw... if anyone needs one, I'd be willing to loan mine out. I bought one on ebay several years ago, I actually needed one.
cheers Bob
I googled wheeled scale and didn't see anything that looks like what I need. The planimeter looks like it. What I envisioned is a pen shaped device with a small roller wheel at the tip that one would trace every line they wanted to measure on a plan. I would use it on arial photographs to measure sidewalk lengths on irregular sidewalks within HOAs. Not the straight sidewalks, but those that snake all over the place. I currently use Google Earth Tools Ruler Path, but sometimes I have lots of little lines, and no long paths.
$60 is a little spendy, but I may spring for one, or try to catch a used one somewhere.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide

http://www.engineersupply.com/plan-measurers.aspx
On 4/17/2011 4:54 PM, Steve B wrote:

Try opisometer
--
bud--

That's a new word on it for me, but it looks like it is the most accurate. Thanks for posting it.

That's the one.
I had the "meter" part correct, but had forgotten the first part of the word. The images from my Google search led me to believe that "planimeter" was the full word.
--
Tegger

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:54:24 -0700, "Steve B"

The box for my K&E is labeled "MAP MEASURE, D1741". On the back of the measure itself is impressed, "Hamilton Watch Company". I bought it new, sometime around 1940, and paid $4.50 for it. It has inch and cm scales.
--
croy