Drafting tool question

I need one of those pen contraptions that you roll over blueprints and aerial photos that then give a numerical value to the distance traveled. What are they called, and what's a good supplier of them?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Reply to
Steve B

Basically put, it's a map/blueprint measuring wheel just like this >>

SBH

"Steve B" wrote in news:kkJqp.17773$V snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

I believe you're thinking of a "planimeter".

Reply to
Tegger

RicodJour

news.usenetserver.com:

The OP is looking for a "wheeled scale", not a planimeter.

A planimeter is for "measuring" (actually, mechanically summing) the area enclosed by a perimeter.

btw... if anyone needs one, I'd be willing to loan mine out. I bought one on ebay several years ago, I actually needed one.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

The OP is looking for a "wheeled scale", not a planimeter.

A planimeter is for "measuring" (actually, mechanically summing) the area enclosed by a perimeter.

btw... if anyone needs one, I'd be willing to loan mine out. I bought one on ebay several years ago, I actually needed one.

cheers Bob

I googled wheeled scale and didn't see anything that looks like what I need. The planimeter looks like it. What I envisioned is a pen shaped device with a small roller wheel at the tip that one would trace every line they wanted to measure on a plan. I would use it on arial photographs to measure sidewalk lengths on irregular sidewalks within HOAs. Not the straight sidewalks, but those that snake all over the place. I currently use Google Earth Tools Ruler Path, but sometimes I have lots of little lines, and no long paths.

$60 is a little spendy, but I may spring for one, or try to catch a used one somewhere.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Reply to
Steve B

Try opisometer

Reply to
bud--

That's a new word on it for me, but it looks like it is the most accurate. Thanks for posting it.

RicodJour

bud-- wrote in news:iohh87$fh1$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

That's the one.

I had the "meter" part correct, but had forgotten the first part of the word. The images from my Google search led me to believe that "planimeter" was the full word.

Reply to
Tegger

The box for my K&E is labeled "MAP MEASURE, D1741". On the back of the measure itself is impressed, "Hamilton Watch Company". I bought it new, sometime around 1940, and paid $4.50 for it. It has inch and cm scales.

Reply to
croy