draft coming from light switch plate-- located at side door (that goes outside)

Hi, right near my side door of my house.. THis door goes to the outside of house... I have a light switch that is getting a huge draft.. I purchased some of those insulation foam and put that between the plate.. Still getting a big draft,, any other suggestions? The only access to the outlet is opening the plate, bunch of electrical wires etc.. No other access.. Thank you KOS
KOS wrote:

Hi, You can try spray foam in a can.

I love it, all these problems that foam can solve!
I fixed a similar problem with foam a while back, but be warned, don't overdo it. I don't know if it's due to the way the stuff cures in the cold or what, but I had it oozing out of the orifice several hours later, and it made a mess of the surrounding drywall.
On 1/8/2011 8:27 PM, cubby wrote:

I foamed in my new prehung door and came back to not being able (almost) to opening the door. It had seeped into the strike plates!
I'm not sure I would foam an outlet, particularly if I ever wanted to change it. Cut a piece of felt or buy one of those foam draft covers.
The real question for me is why is there a draft in the wall? I'd look into that!
Jeff

Since that often happens, use masking tape on nearby areas. You're right, Cubby, the latex foam can take forever to cure, especially in winter.
Joe
On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 15:49:02 -0800 (PST), KOS

From the outside of the door, check the trim molding at the bottom, top and sides of the door trim. Any slight opening will cause the draft. Caulk _those edges_ around the trim to prevent drafts entering the jamb cavities. I've used plastic behind switch plates and even finely caulked around the switch plate.
The trim is often overlooked as the culprit. Even check widows, etc. These areas are overlooked when sealing windows and doors.
Let use know what you find.
On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 15:49:02 -0800 (PST), KOS

Turn the power off. Pull out the switch. get spray foam (urethane or latex, doesn't much matter) and stich the "straw" through a hole in the box or poke it between the box and the plasterboard, and give it a couple good shots of foam to seal around the box. Cut off any that expands into the box, then re-install the switch. DO NOT use the latex stuff with the power tirned on, as being water based it is conductive when uncured, and the propellant/expansion agent is flamable!!!!!!!!!