Downsize Water Heater?

It is this very criteria that causes me to STAY with a gas heater, although I BRIEFLY considered an electric unit.

At my former home, we were all-electric. I replaced the 40 with a 50 JUST IN TIME for the three, growing daughters to "discover" hot water. The timing was PERFECT! I had no complaint about the unit, recovery rate or otherwise. *I* always had hot water and that was good enough for ME!!

Now, I must replace my aging 50-gallon. Downsize; High-recovery; High efficiency; name brand; cheapie; in-between; This is silly.

I am currently leaning toward downsizing to a 40 but, this time, a high-recovery unit.

I'm sure A.O.Smith downsized the actual gallon capacity (by 2) of this particular "high recovery forty" to achieve the impressive recovery rate.

The OP mentioned their preference for a FULL-TUB bath. We have one "full" bath with a whirlpool tub (one person). One whirlpool bath and a 38-gallon model will surely be exhausted. Given that the tub is virtually never used, it is of VERY little influence in my selection process. Heck, I remember taking baths when I was little and my mom coming in with a huge pot of water she'd heated on the stove to augment what came out of the tap. I don't remember for sure, but I presume the water heater had given its all at these times!

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

There is no way I'd EVER even consider having an electric water heater or furnace.

We had an electric water heater and stove at our vacation cabin for a while when we first bought it. After 6 months of paying that outrageous electric bill, I swapped them both out for propane units. Any electric heating unit is going to be way less efficient than it's gas counterpart.

At our house, I have a 40 gallon high efficiency water heater. My wife and I can take extremely long showers back to back and we still have never managed to drain it. Even after doing a load of laundry and running the dishwasher beforehand.

When looking for a house, one of the first things I look for is all gas appliances (furnace, water-heater, dryer, stove). The only 220 breakers in the fuebox are the ones that power the garage and A/C.

-- Tony

Jim Redelfs wrote:

Reply to
kimmell

I have now changed my mind. I no longer think you should downsize to a 40 gal. You should get a 50 gal. When 1 of your son-in-laws loses his job, and the family moves in with you, you're going to need that extra 10 gallons.

Reply to
Bob

Everything in a potential house can be changed. When looking for a house, the first and last thing to look for, is if your wife likes it.

Reply to
Bob

Everything in a potential house can be changed. When looking for a house, the first and last thing to look for, is if your wife likes it. ++++++++++++++++++++++

Sounds nice BUT!

What if theres no gas in the neighborhood:(

Reply to
hallerb