downdraft hood with filter only?

Hi, we have a situation with a stovetop on an island. we do not currently have the option of putting in a vent hood and are trying to find a downdraft vent that is just a filter. We do not have access to run a exhaust outside because the island is in the middle of the room and the house is on a slab.

Has anyone ever seen something like this? I figure a vent with a cleanable filter is better than nothing. thanks!

Reply to
goatlip

Well that does work to provide some cleaning of the air. However it is not nearly as effective as a outside vent and does nothing to reduce heat build up inside.

I suspect if you ask a professional they will be able to find a way to vent it to the outside. There are many options all depend on the specific application.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks Joseph. we've talked to one contractor and without removing some of the slab it will be difficult. He claimed for each bend the vent tube makes the diameter has to increas by an inch.

I'm still looking into different options. Is there other way of venting besides a hood or down draft unit?? Seems like several 1" size tube could be used to vent somehow. any ideas or suggestions?

Reply to
goatlip

How far is it to the outside wall, is it open dirt past the wall. Most anything can and is done, it just depends how you do it.

Reply to
m Ransley

why can't you put in a hood? perhaps that can be solved easier than breaking your slab.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

it's approximately 10 ft to the outside wall and it is open dirt past the wall. The island sits in the middle of the room so it's hard finding access out to the wall.

A vent hood may be possible, if there is one that is not too large and can mount from the ceiling. I've seen some low profile one's but they are either wall mounted or very expensive. any ideas on a brand that would have something like this?

The only other access I have is a 6" steel pipe on one end of the island about 4 ft from the stovetop that goes to the ceiling. It's filled with wires though and wouldn't be large enough for a vent tube i think.

any ideas on vent hood or other ways of venting?? thanks!

Reply to
goatlip

depends upon how much you want to spend. there's some island vents that can be suspended from the ceiling, but they're very pricy. i built one for a peninsula stove using 2x4 and drywall construction, and got a custom insert made at a kitchen supply place.

perhaps you can wall in the existing 6" pipe with a box non-load bearing wall, and attach a vent hood to that, and vent through another 6" pipe in there.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer