Doulble Receptacle Grounding Question/ Switch Grounding

When doing two receptacles side by side in the same box or piggy back on either side of a wall, I understand that the hot, neutral and ground gets connected to the first, and a jumper hot and jumper neutral gets connected to the second. Does the second receptacle need a ground wire also going back to the grounding system via a pigtail as well? In this case there are two pigtails, one for the first receptacle and another for the second, or I guess I could use on of those wire nut integrated ground cables for the first and a pigtail for the second??? Is this right?

I have heard many discuss grounding switches but my understanding is that unless you have a plastic box with NM cable, you do not need to ground the switch? It is a bit confusing as most switches now come with ground screws, but I assume that is if they are going into plastic boxes. In my scenerio, I either have NM with a ground wire going into a metal box or conduit with THHN going into a metal box so no grounding required??

Reply to
Michael Roback

Hi,

Each recepticle needs a ground connected to it on the green post (has a green screw). Now if you are running the wires from another recepticle you can continue the ground to the next recepticle through a piece of conduit or you can ground the metal box and then tie the ground wire on the farthest recpeticles to the casing but it is not code even though it works. I recommend just running the ground over and tie onto each recepticle. I can send you a schematic of what I mean if you wish Hon.

candice

Reply to
CLSSM00X7