Douglas Fir Flooring

I recently met with several flooring contractors regarding our douglas fir floors. Some of them said that these floors do not take stains well and others said it was not a problem. Does any have any experience with this? Also, do you know what the natural color is? Currently they are all painted over.
Thanks for your replies.
Ryan
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Ryan spaketh...

http://www.wwpa.org/dfir.htm http://www.bearcreeklumber.com/products/productimages/siding/dougfir/dfsidr ctksid.jpg
try google for several hundred more
Fir can be stained, but better results may come from using a dye or toning the wood
--
McQualude

I wouldnt stain it. Remove paint with chemicals and/or sanding, and then use a sanding sealer and polyurethane. Fir floors are viewed by some as a premium surface, especially if original old-growth. They don't do as well in very high traffic areas where oak would be better. The fir will likely start out amber/red and then will likely darken over time into a deep red, if you are lucky.

    If the floor is more than 50 or so years old, it would probably be worth your while to strip it. It's probably quite nice looking wood.
    Much plywood is made from doug fir. You can get an idea of the color from that. Kind of redish.
    Doug fir looks very nice as a floor. It is very strong, but it is not tough like oak (meaning it will take a lot of stress without breaking, but it will scratch and dent. So you would do well to always keep a very tough finish on it.
    I don't know what color you want to stain it, but I wouldn't do it. I can't think of any stain that would improve it. It's a nice, lively color.
            Peter
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMearthlink.net (Ryan) writes:

Doug fir heartwood has a reddish cast, the sapwood is white. Both woods darken with age.
I don't know what "do not take stains well" means. What color do you want the wood? If you want it uniform, dream on. If you just want to accentuate the grain, stain away. The traditional finish for a fir floor is several coats of boiled linseed oil, sanding the grain flat between coats, and a layer of paste floor wax. When you get to the point that a coat of wax won't hide the traffic patterns in the floor, just strip the wax off with ammonia, run a floor sander over it to remove ground-in dirt, and oil it again.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc