doughboy deck problem looking for a solution

Hi.
I'm hoping not to tear up the deck to solve this. A couple of years ago I had a deck enhanced around my doughboy, roughly 17' inner width, 32' inner lengths.
Unfortunately when the installation was done, despite my notes about it, the clearance between the deck and the bottom of the lip that runs around the doughboy is minimal.
Now on 1/2 of the pool, I can't get underneath the lip to put on the little plastic clips that normally hold the winter cover on.
I live in Michigan so I need the cover.
Right now just the wire that runs through the loops of the cover go under the lip on that side of the pool. In a wind the cover between the loops secured by the wire can actually come quite for up exposing the pool somewhat and minimizing its protection from the elements.
Any suggestions on how to fix this or secure the cover better for the winter would be definitely appreciated.
I can post some pictures if necessary.
Thanks

How much clearance do you actually need, how far apart are the clips, and how much room is under the deck?

As you can see, there is a clearance of about 3-4 thicknesses of a popsicle stick between the top of the deck and the lip around the pool.

ones). I am hoping to come up with a solution that does not involve the 'standard' clips.

piece of underground to get there, and there are probably 3 feet or so of clearance then.

attachments are not allowed?. As you can see, there is a clearance of about 3-4 thicknesses of a popsicle stick between the top of the deck and the lip around the pool.