Doubling the Uppers

I have a kitchen to remodel that has very high ceilings (nearly 12 feet) There is at least a four foot fur-down over the upper cabinets. Anyone every installed uppers over uppers. The clients want more storage and I thought that might work. Any ideas?

Reply to
CaryF

  1. How will they get to them?

  1. In older kitchens without bulkheads, tall uppers were quite common. Upper shelf was for holiday pots'n'pans, and similar once-in-a-blue-moon items. But it did take a tall step stool to get to them, something modern kitchen users seldom are willing to do.

  2. Discuss the access issue with the clients, and see how much climbing they are willing to do. Rather than stack up typical 30" uppers, I'd look into the special-order pantry cabinets or adapt shallow base cabinets. Just stacking normal uppers, the doubled face frame at the join will give a cheap look, like an office storage room. A custom order extra-tall or double-decker cabinet, or perhaps a custom order face frame and doors over locally built carcasses, would produce the best look.

aem sends....

Reply to
<aemeijers