Doubling electrical wiring

Say I need to deliver 20 amps to a circuit. Is is possible to use two

10 amp wires tied together to do this?
Reply to
twentworth

Depends on what you mean as to how you intend.

Physically, two 14ga wires paralleled would be adequate, yes, but if you're speaking of household wiring, NEC forbids multiple connections on a breaker terminal so that expedient isn't allowed.

--

Reply to
dpb

NEC also requires wires run in parallel to be 1/0 or greater

Reply to
RBM

Are you sure? I'm quite sure there is more than one wire per breaker in many panels - or would there be one wire on the breaker, tied to 2 or more with wire-nuts? Easy way around that would be heavy wire to a junction box, where two light wires were connected. However, having 2 LIVE wires connected to one device is, as far as I know, against code.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

No, for the obvious reason that if one wire worked loose you would still have a circuit, but it would be grossly overloaded.

I made a 150' extension cord by cable tying a 14/2 extension cord and a 16/3 cord together with cable ties; using one for the hot and the other for the neutral. If one conductor worked loose I might have excessive voltage drop, but it would be safe. Still not legal, but safe. (I got the extension cords at a going out of business sale for 80% off, but they were the largest they had.)

Reply to
jack

No.

Reply to