doubling attic insulation - does it help?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

I suspect that the 110 yr old house had air infiltration issues.
The energy savings could be more from plugging the air leaks with insulation than from the insulation's R value.
No I cant relate savings to a single thing I did, it was all done at once, but the utility co Nipsco said I have the lowest bills they know of for my size house. Point being there is alot most can do in different areas of waste, people should not be closed to the fact, or discoured. Utility savings can be found im many areas of improvement. With Ng being up 50-70% and electric soon in my area 15-40% there is alot anyone can do, anywhere. My yearly electric with AC is also extremly low apx 260 - 290 a year. Its all a matter of researching before you buy and what can realy save an extra$. Did you know sears makes the most efficient 19.5 frige, it is equal to Sun Frost in efficiency, in standard form and resessed with extra insulation more than Sun Frost. Do you own heat end electric audit, and keep an open mind.

No doubt ~$1400/yr savings is very impressive. But how much did all new appliances, new water heater, new windows, lots of insulation and whatever else cost you. How many years will it take to pay back. Sounds like you did a lot of remodeling at the same time and energy upgrades were just addons (above and beyond the cost for basic installations). I assume you didn't do all the work just to save fuel, there must be some cosmetic payoff. The best time to upgrade is during a remodel.
One thing I note is that projected savings are figured at todays fuel/energy cost. I have not kept track but I suspect that my actual fuel savings from buying a 5 speed manual Honda civic 5 years ago rather than a suk is a bit more than was projected. And if you think energy prices are going down (except in world wide depression) I have a great mony making deal for you. Stan