Double Wire Circuits

"Theoretically" - it depends on what the breaker size is. If it is 30A (which the wires would support) they have to be the same length (or else the current is not split evenly between the wires). On a 15A breaker "theoretically" it doesn't matter. The OP seems to be asking the first question.

For paralleling under the NEC, not only do the lengths have to be equal, you have to match conductor material, conductor area, insulation and termination.

As Doug said, the NEC allows paralleling for wires over 1/0. Why would you want to parallel small wires. You are increasing the probability of a problem, including what someone might do in the future. And the "right" size wire is about always easier to use.

As I believe someone said, wires have to (generally) be protected at the source for the wire ampacity. A #14 (or 2-#14s) connected to a 30A breaker is a violation.

I have read that ring circuits in the UK were used in the rebuilding after WW2 because they used less scarce copper. If the ring circuit was

30A, the wire would be lighter than a 30A rating, but I believe it was significantly higher than 15A. Since each side of the ring would seldom be equal length, the current does not divide equally in each direction. You also don't want "sockets" near the ends of the ring.
Reply to
bud--

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Load Outlet

First of all the white wire is not a ground. What are you using for ground? Is this in conduit?

Second of all, as mentioned, if one wire loses contact then its sister wire is now overloaded.

Third of all if someone does future work from that box they may likely just use only one of the 14ga leads, or branch off with only a single

14ga lead.
Reply to
RickH

Installed by an English electrician, of course? Who trained at Lucas Electric?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Load Outlet

=3D=3D I would consider your proposition bizarre to say the least, but since you are NOT going to do it anyway then the question does not have to be answered and the whole thing is moot. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

If one wire were to be accidentally cut or disconnected, the other would then carry the entire load. That's why doing what you suggest violates code. Even if you run 100 pairs, each one is required to be large enough to carry the entire load.

Also, c>>> This is a theoretical electrical question, not something I actually

Reply to
NoSpam

Not if the breaker terminal is listed for two wires. Some are.

Reply to
Doug Miller