Double pole circuit breaker

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but here it is anyway. I bought a 15 amp 240v double pole circuit breaker at Lowe's to convert my new table saw to 240v. Along with it and the wire, I needed a new 240v receptacle outlet to plug the saw into. The sales person told me I needed a 30 amp receptacle because I was using a 15 amp double breaker, basically 2 - 15 amp poles = 30 amps. That just sounds wrong to me. Am I right in thinking that I need a 15 amp outlet?
Thanks for any help.
Darrin wrote:

You need a NEMA 6-15 receptacle (15 amps), just like you thought. I might have used a 20A breaker and a 15A duplex receptacle in anticipation of adding a dust collector (etc) later and letting it share the circuit with the table saw.
Bob
On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:22:48 -0500, "Darrin"

Ah, no. 15 amps, is the max either breaker will pass (I hope). I'm guessing you aren't an electrician, and I strongly suggest you get someone install the circuit for you. Better Safe than Dead.
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
Tom The Great wrote:

He may not be a professional, but he did pass the first test of being qualified to do the work. He asked a question when he did not know the answer.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Even better, he wasn't afraid to challenge an answer proffered by an alleged expert that didn't seem correct.

First, yes, asking questions is a great idea, to prevent a problem.
What scares me is that, anyone would even alleged these people working at HD/Lowes are experts scares me. They are not doing the work, so they clearly have no investment in you doing it safely. I gutted a garage's wiring, because someone followed the advice of a orange apron wearing 'expert' over and over, till I looked at it.
The basis for why so much was wrong, was the home owner never thought there was a problem, so never asked a question.
LIke I said, becareful and get someone qualified to do the work. Being smarter than lowes sales person really isn't being qualfied. ;)
tom

Darrin wrote:

Your sales guy was wrong; if you're using a 15A breaker you should have a 15A receptacle.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

I think we have a winner! The salespeople at HD are just as bad. Or worse.

Not all of them. One near me had a retired master electrician with 40+ years in the trade. Almost felt sorry for him sometimes...
On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:22:48 -0500, "Darrin"

Wrong. The same current will flow through each side of the breaker. This is a 15A circuit, not 30A.

Right.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com