double glazing replacement

Hello, can you help me with my head scratching problem.
I am trying to replace my rear upvc door window with a blank pannel so i can fit a dog flap.. i have come accross glass locks holding my externally beaded glass in and cannot seem to remove them. They are obviously fitted when the door was originally glazed as security, how do i remove them without damaging the glass?... they seem to be right angled metal clips that push into a upvc fitting on the frame around the glass. I guess you need some kind of tool?!? i have no idea of who fitted when as it was all hear when we moved in. i can take pics if ness..
--
reedfish

A photo would certainly help. What is a upvc????
hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote the following on 9/1/2012 10:24 AM (ET):

Unplasticized Polyvinyl Chloride, AKA rigid PVC. Usually written uPVC.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

> i have come across glass locks holding my

Yikes! I'm concerned you might be dealing with a home-made job there.
You see, beaded glass is privacy glass. It is has what's called a "pin head" texture on one side to distort the light going through the glass for privacy.
But, when privacy glass is installed, it's the smooth side that goes on the outside so that the gaskets and weather stripping around the glass have a smooth surface to seal to. Those gaskets and seals wouldn't be able to properly seal rain water out if they were facing the textured surface of the glass, which is the way you're saying your privacy glass is installed.
If someone installed that glass with the textured surface on the outside, than I expect they didn't know how it was supposed to be done.
So far as instructions on how to remove the glass goes, your best bet is just to take a digital picture of the kind of clip you have down to any glass repair shop, and they can show you how to release that clip.
--
nestork