Dosposal of bad gasoline

Non-chemist explanation: Oil (gas) and water do not mix. Alcohol and water do mix so the alcohol mixes with the water and allows it to pass through to the engine where it can be burned without plugging things up.

If you take oil and vinegar for salad dressing they do not mix either, but add an emulsifier, such as egg whites, it will mix and stay in solution.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Technical: Water is a polar substance, Gas is non-polar. Alcohol is both (one end is polar the other not) So the Alcohol molecule will attract one Gas and one water molecule allowing them to mix. Mixed, they will pass through your engine without harm (in reasonable quantities)

Non-technical: It causes the water to mix with the gas and burn.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

And in the meantime, get a tape of monks doing their morning ritual. It's nice to have a bunch of monks decanting in the bakground. Makes for a nice ceremony.

Problem with decanting is hard to do with an opaque container.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Separate as much water as you can by pouring off the gas/siphoning/ or other means, then ad the rest to a nearly full tank of gas in your car along with a can of drygas.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

respectfully, i would never put old or rotten gas in a car. ive seen a few nightmares when that was done.. lucas

Reply to
ds549

The first thing that might help people advise you is if you told us where you are.

Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

What kind of alcohol?

Reply to
larrybud2002

Talk with your local Garbologist when he stops by to pick up your "solid waste". Ask him where you dump your "liquid waste"?

Reply to
Bill

Water can be removed from gas by pouring it thru a small-meshed copper screen, or sometimes even a woman's nylons if they're the right mesh and material. Or, put it in a clear container; let set so water separates, then use siphon to remove. Works well for small amounts.

Reply to
Pop

I had a similar problem once and asked the local gas station if I could dump the gasoline into his underground waste holding tank for petroleum products. He said no problem. At that time there was a new law that all waste petroleum products, including the stuff from car oil change operations and repairs, must be disposed of at approved sites. I remember a reminder that any car owner doing his own oil change must dispose of the dirty engine oil at the gas station.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

I use it to kill weeds on the bottom my fence line.

contaminated

Reply to
Joe