Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.
I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life, or is this just a tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door surface. It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door like that.....
My front door has the knob in the middle. My grandfather built the home in 1920. I can send you a picture of it if you would like. snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 16:14:21 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@ipsb.education wrote:

No thanks.
Please delete. I thought I was answering someone else.
snipped-for-privacy@ipsb.education brought next idea :

It can't be deleted, USENET is forever, or until it dies.
family affair with brian keith and sebastian cabot had a door like that