Doorbells - Help Please

Page 3 of 3
On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 18:27:19 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Who is Kate?
On 1/18/2016 6:57 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

The claimed OP.

Speaking of doorbells, I was just watching a documentary about the Beverly Hillbilllies, and it showed Jethro in the front hall and the music was coming out of the walls somehow, and Jethro said some day he was going to tear out the walls to find out where it was coming from.
But, he said, after the music plays, someone always comes to the front door, and sure enough after a while someone knocked.
She was head of the Historical Association and she saw Granny's loom out front so she wanted to talk to her. Jed said that she was in the kitchen making butter. "By hand? the woman asked. 'Oh, no. She uses a churn."
So they went in to the kitchen and the woman was so pleased, she took a camera out of her purse and asked if she could take pictures. "What kind of pictures," Jed asked. "Still pictures." "Get your gun, Pearl. She's a revenuer," Granny yelled.
But things calmed down and Jed got a trunk with more old things in it, and he said to her, "When you look in this trunk, you'll be happier than a cow in RED CLOVER". And she was.
I'm so glad the historical footage of their life in Beverly Hills exists.

On Saturday, January 16, 2016 at 8:27:13 PM UTC-8, Kate wrote:

No, I don't know how to do this, but it sure helps when I meet with the electrician. Thanks.
On Saturday, January 16, 2016 at 8:27:13 PM UTC-8, Kate wrote:

OK, I just thought of something. When the electrician installed my new wir ed doorbell unit, I recall he said something about putting the transformer in my fuse box. I just went out to look, and I don't know what a transform er looks like, but could there be a chance that he took the cover off of my fuse box, and installed it behind the cover? I am thinking that the trans former is small enough to be placed there.
Thanks.
On 1/18/2016 1:26 PM, Kate wrote:

<
http://diyhousehelp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/c905k_transformer.jpg
gives you a general idea as to size, shape, etc.

Yes, though I think that would be a Code violation. More likely that it is attached to the *outside* of the "fuse box" (so it looks like a *wart* growing out of the box -- much like the above photo).

The take-away from this post is that you almost certainly have the CORRECT transformer. If it worked originally, it's HIGHLY unlikely that it has failed in a way that could allow the bell unit to continue to operate but the lighted buttons to "burn out" prematurely.
It's possible the original button was *specially* chosen for this application (though that seems improbable) which would necessitate replacement with another purchased from the original doorbell manufacturer.
Do you truly want to understand the reason behind the problem? Or, just get a solution that you can forget about, hereafter?

Now that you know what it looks like, from the picture published here, have you found it? It might be on the outside of the fusebox or it might be on a 2x6 in the basement ceiling, holding up the first floor

I don't think you want to take the cover off the fusebox. Even I wouldn't do it just to learn the voltage.
It would be easier to measure the voltage between the two wires at the button, when one wire is disconnected. Or at the bell when someone is pressing the button.

i had a frustrating time with my doorbell also
i replaced mine with a Wireless from Sado/starpoint [amazon]
the thing i like is, you can get 2 chime units, and if one goes out, you have a spare [in my case, i use one upstairs]
if i had it to do over again, they have a 2+2 package, and you get 2 of each [buttons & chimes] so you have a spare of each, for backup
marc
On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 13:44:06 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Because I play the radio or tv, I can't hear the original chime unless I'm in the kitchen. So I put a clapper, and then later replaced it with a chime, in the basement. And I took a wireless doorbell, that I paid about 6 dollars for at Sunset House, rewired the button so it used the power of the doorbell transformer, and so the wireless button was always pressed but the button had no power unless someone pressed the button at the front door. And the receiver/chime went upstairs. And it worked well for several years. Actually I bought two, and the first one worked well for my mother for about 10 years and then for me for 5 until it burned up. 15 years total. The second one only lasted a year! I have another new much more expensive one but the voltage for the button is not as easy to derive from my xformer.
On 1/16/2016 8:27 PM, Kate wrote:

Sorry on the confusion with my name. I am using my niece's computer.
Does the chime still sound ok when the light is burned out and someone push es the doorbell button, and you just want to get the light to work ok again ? If so, you can get replacement bulbs in various voltage and keep the doo rbell unit itself for whichever one has the style you like.
But, to replace the bulb, we need to know the voltage output of the transfo rmer that powers the doorbell unit and the chime unit itself. The electric ian should be able to easily measure the voltage, or perhaps you have a han dy neighbor. Voltmeters are essentially free at Harbor Freight, using one of their freebee coupons. The transformer is essentially the volume of a p ack of cigarettes, though more squarish.
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 21:01:51 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

still glow at 16.