Doorbell wire - safe on exterior

Page 2 of 2
Randy, I have skimmed the Canadian Electrical Code-Part 1 and "Wiring for Canadian Homes and Cottages" (CSA publication as well), and could find no references to the above.
That being said, the typical scenario is a step-down transformer to reduce your 120Vac to typically 24Vac, which then runs up to your chime and push button. My personal recommendation is to run a minimum of 14guage wire.
Beyond that, you may not want to run the wire where it is exposed as there is a higher degree for tampering with it, and being affected by the elements.
Justin West wrote:

My intention is to be as by-the-book on this as possible. I know about the 24v xformer, and I suspected the 'book' might not address it because of that, but I thought I should ask the experts here before assuming anything.
So there are no apparent restrictions on it, but no guidelines, either. Oh well...
14 gauge might be a bit large to fit under the moulding, but I'll look into it.

I don't have the option of ripping out the wall to install the wire, so exterior seems the least objectionable alternative.
Thanks.

And seems excessive for just the low-voltage circuit for a doorbell. Those transformers probably can't put out more than 1A or so. 24 gauge should be suitable.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I looked at the transformer for my doorbell. The secondary is marked "16V". The measured voltage is 19.3VAC. The wire connected to it looks like 24 gauge.