Doorbell wire - safe on exterior

Page 1 of 2
One of my projects for when the weather warms is to install a doorbell in this old house. I'd like to know what the safety/legality is of using doorbell wire along the outside wall.
The local bigbox hardware store has 75' rolls of 'bell wire', and I think the easiest & most out-of-sight route is down the door frame and under some moulding around to a basement window (I can't go in through the wall).
The wire is 3 conductor with an outer sheath, but it does not specify indoor or outdoor use. Is there any code (Canada) regarding exterior cable in low-voltage applications such as this?
URL's, pointers and opinions welcome.
Randy Day wrote:

what about a wireless doorbell
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

[snip]
There's a base for one stuck to the doorframe; Either a previous tenant took part of it with him, or some kid from the neighborhood did.
I want to install something a little more permanent...

No, not the old style ding-dong types. this is like the regular bells.
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1371310653.1138501562@@@@&BV_EngineIDckaddglhhfllicgelceffdfgidglm.0&MID76
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1371310653.1138501562@@@@&BV_EngineIDckaddglhhfllicgelceffdfgidglm.0&MID76 Your link brings up a page of electrical generators and appliances.
I'm not talking about the little mechanical toy types, either. I've been to Home Depot and I've seen the wireless units. A receiver/bell you stick on the wall like a regular bell unit, and 2 doorbell-switch-sized transmitters you mount at each door. That's the kind that was apparently installed here at one time.
My point still stands; I *don't* consider wireless units to be suitable for rental units because it's *too easy* for a light-fingered tenant to make off with a working doorbell system.

Screw the bell, put on a knocker
Randy Day wrote:

    People think that the more times they push a button, the faster I'll get to the door. I finally replaced it with a wireless motion sensor mounted out of reach that beeps inside when someone drives in the driveway or starts walking up the front sidewalk. Then I put a large round doorbell button with no wiring next to the door so people can push the button all day to relieve their anxieties while they wait for me to answer the door. The transmitter and receiver together cost $34 for the wireless motion sensor, and it's sure easier than running wires.
    Bob

I just fixed our doorbell a few months ago. It broke in 1982 and frankly, we didn't miss it. People that I really want to see know to come to the side door by the family room.
Bob, Could you please tell me the brand and model no. of your unit?
I purchased one of these, and it went off constantly, even when the wind would blow.
Thanks.
Corinne
RobertM wrote:

I've been looking for one. What brand and model do you have, so I know not to buy that one.

Corinne wrote:

    http://www.kopes.com/gadgets/security/wireless-chime.htm          Instructions say you can experiment with putting tape over part of the sensor for limiting direction. Only time I have a false alert was during a windstorm when a large branch fell.
    Bob
I've been looking for one of these, but a guy I know who has one says it goes off by itself sometimes. What brand and model number did you buy?

Bob wrote:

http://www.kopes.com/gadgets/security/wireless-chime.htm
Bob
Thanks.

Bob wrote:

me immediately that it would be backordered. Delivery was a little slow (3 weeks) but well worth the wait.
    Bob
To answer the original question, AFAIK, there is nothing thay prevents you from running low voltage door bell wiring anywhere around the exterior of the house. If you have it covered under some trim molding, it should work fine. Or, the wireless units are an option too.

this, you can do a google and then check the UV rating. Some types of insulation deteriorate when exposed to the sun.
    Bob

There's a small plastic plate mounted by the front door where a doorbell would be; someone had a wireless unit and took it away with him, or someone else took the button...
Something like that seems a little too 'portable' for a rental unit.

Now I'm getting an idea for an anti-multiple-presses device. Have the button start a timer that causes additional button presses during the next 3 seconds (or whatever you specify) to be ignored.

I used to have one of those motion detectors. I got tired of birds (warm bodies) setting the thing off every few minutes. Reducing the sensitivity just replaces lots of false positives with lots of false negatives.

BTW, while I was typing that, I got to see an example of when Windows unexpectedly disables insert mode. As I was correcting a mistake, I could see the cursor "eating" the following text.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

LM555 or 74HC122. The 74HC122 would be good because it's a retriggerable flip-flop. Every time they pushed the button it would extend the non-response time for another 3 seconds. The more they pushed the button, the more they wouldn't be heard. I kind of like that.
    Bob