Doorbell Update

Page 1 of 2

Today my friend, figured out how to change my current battery operated doorbell to a wired doorbell .
There were three sets of wires inside my guest coat closet, in the entry way. One set goes to the back door, and one set goes to the front door. The third set of wires is behind the fuse box in the garage. There is no transformer there so I will be buying that tomorrow along with a doorbell unit. We tested all of the wires and they are in working order.
It is supposed to be very easy to install, and I will be so happy about this.
I am still wondering why the people who built my home, eleven years ago, did not wire in a doorbell.
Thanks to all, and I will post again when the job gets done Sunday.
Kate

$$$$$$$$$$$$$
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 07:34:58 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

no, cccccccccccc (pennies, not dollars) - the cheapskates.
At least they did the rough-in.
On 2/27/2010 3:49 AM, Kate wrote:

It's funny, in my old neighborhood, southwestern suburbs of Chicago, every house had a wired doorbell. Here in the western Carolina mountains, almost nobody has one. My builder said that he never has put a doorbell in any of the houses he built. Of course, I stupidly had one put in with a button on the front door. I'm not sure anyone, other than me, will every use that door, when visiting. I should have put it on the back door. But even that would be stupid as we will have a screened porch with the back door inside the porch. So, it would probably be better to have the button on the door going into the porch. I'll probably do that when I screen in the porch.
On 02/27/2010 08:08 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

just extend the wires to the door to the porch and leave the button by the back door. that way if you lock the door to the porch, there's a button there, and if you leave the porch unlocked and a visitor comes through the porch to the back door there will be another button to push.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Art Todesco wrote:

You need one O them thar cowbells a hangin near the door fer visiters to whack on to get yore 'ttention.
TDD
Kate wrote:

fyi, the transformer should come with the doorbell unit.

Where do you buy your doorbells? I've never seen one come with a transformer.
No here that a transformer is required, not included http://www.dimango.com/dc-hardwired-doorbells.htm
Accessories: Transformer (Not Included, Uses 16v) Buttons (As needed)

if there's a wire to the garage, the transfer goes in the garage.
110vac in garage -> transformer -> 24vac to closet -> doorbel -> front and rear switches

I meant "the transformer goes in the garage"

On 2/27/2010 8:25 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Try Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, or even WalMart, Sears or Target's electrical supply department. Unless things have really changed in the past few decades, they used to be available just about everywhere home electrical supplies were sold.
On 02/27/2010 12:38 PM, Peter wrote:

right, they all likely sell doorbells and transformers, just not in the same box. You probably have to buy the pushbuttons seperately as well, although obviously the wireless ones will come with the buttons as they are also transmitters.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
wrote in message

Sure, but the don't "come with" the doorbell unit. You have to buy the bell and transformer separately.

A doorchime does not come with a transformer. A doorchime KIT comes with transformer and 2 buttons. A doorchime INSTALLATION kit is everything but the chime.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

kit , schmit. play on words.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xjl/R-100627078/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

the last 6 i bought came with two buttons (lit) one tranformer and the bell unit itself all in one box.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xjl/R-100627078/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
Steve Barker wrote:

Thanks, as I am getting ready to head to Lowes now.

I disconnected my doorbell 6 years ago with no regrets. Kids (teenagers) around here like to play "Ding-Dong-Ditch" after 11 pm. If I ever hook it up again it will take a picture of the visitor's face rather than ring a bell. Most who have battery-operated doorbells eventually let them go dead.

We don't have that problem here, but if the doorbell rings, I know I probably don't want to answer it. Anyone that knows us, including the UPS guy, etc. comes to the side door. Bell ringers usually want to sell me magazines, go to their church, or vote for them next Tuesday. My wife convinced me to fix the bell, but it was broke for over 20 years. Never missed it.