Doorbell that you can shut off?

Page 2 of 2
Instead of hardwiring the doorbell transformer to your AC, you could put that on a switch, or use some sort of X10 aplliance module to turn it on and off.
Joe

1) Ask you neighbors not to ring your doorbell on the weekends. 2) Post a "No Solicitation" sign on your front steps.
Chemqueries wrote:

May I suggest that you take a completely different tack. My father; God rest his soul; worked three jobs to support eight children and sleeping in on Sunday morning was one of his few luxuries of life. When I found him working away in the little crawl space over the front porch on a Saturday evening I failed to connect it to the previous Sunday's visit by Proselytizers for one of the Saturday sabbath groups with an evangelical approach to heathen slothfulness on Sunday mornings. Our house being a ranch which my father had built with his own hands my bedroom window had the best view of the front porch. Sunday morning at seven my father and brother and I were watching the walk from a half inch gap under the nearly drawn shade in the room I shared with my brother. My father did not invite my sisters or my mom to this event. As he apparently expected the missionaries came up the walk and pushed the doorbell. There followed a whooshing sound and the four sprinkler heads my father had installed in the porch roof the night before began discharging nearly forty gallons of water of water per minute onto their pious forms. We had no trouble with them after that. -- Tom H
HorneTD wrote:

Good thing, your dad did not get sued for that. You Aamericans love to sue, right? LOL. Tony

Sunday morning was one of his few luxuries of life.

Thanks for that wonderful story. What a terrific solution to the problem. I'll bet the proselytizers didn't bother anyone else that morning either!
I'd like to see some sort of device that would disable the doorbell for thirty seconds after the button was pressed the first time. I don't know why people think I'll get to the door faster if they ring the bell a dozen times instead of once.
Bob

rck wrote:

All you need is a timing relay of the appropriate voltage that will open the circuit on application of power and will not make it available to the button again for whatever interval you set. -- Tom H
wrote in message

Time delay relays can be expensive. For example a 24AG-KRP11 Interval On relay is almost $80. I suppose I could use an IC to drive an inexpensive relay but then I'd have to build a power supply. How many milliamps are available from a doorbell transformer?
Bob

I don't know, but what a fabulous idea! I'd love something like that to prevent my barking dog from waking up the kids at naptime. The doorbell is the only thing that makes her bark.
JennP.
This is quite simple to do. You can even keep your existing doorbell. Go buy a single toggle single throw switch. If you have a plastic case (the 'cheap' type that builders put into houses), you can drill a hole in it and put the switch in the case. You have two ways to electrically connect the switch. You can interupt the power supply or the switch. Personally, I would interput the power supply to the bell. Find the two wires that connect the doorbell to the transformer disconnect the positive one (probably the red one if red and green are the two wire colours). Connect one side of the switch to the wire that you disconnected and connect the other side of the switch to the terminal on the bell. It is good pratice to interput the +ve line, but since we're working with very low DC voltage it really doesn't matter. If the power from the transformer goes to the doorbell button, you have to connect it like the later case. Simply put the switch in as in the former case.
Here is a little ASCII schematic. It's the same schematic for both setups, except in the second setup, the SPDT-switch is between the doorbell button and the doorbell:
NOTE: by doing this, if you have a light on the pushbutton (outside), it will go off when you turn off the switch.
Give me a shout if you need a better picture or this doesn't make sense (I'm an electrical engineering student -3rd year, so this is pretty basic stuff to me and I sometimes forget that it isn't to others).
Jeff

Jeff Prevett wrote:

If your doorbell is located where you can easily reach up and touch it I'd suggest that an good spot you to mount a miniature toggle switch would be right through a hole drilled in the doorbell's housing. That'd eliminate the need to run any additional wires.
One like this from Radio Shack should do the job:
<http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F015%5F006&product%5Fid '5%2D614>
HTH,
(Another) Jeff