Doorbell that you can shut off?

Page 1 of 2
Do any of you know whether there is such a thing as a doorbell that I can shut off and on from the inside of the house? On weekend mornings, I'd like to be able to deactivate the doorbell or switch the sound off. I've been to several hardware stores and haven't found what I'm looking for. Thanks for any suggestions.

I can't think of anything easier to do. Just wire in a switch at a convenient location.
ABC wrote:

I'd install timer programmed to your needs in-line with the bell circuit by the week days. Or remote control or manual switch(you have to remember to use this tho when to turn it off or on) Tony

Thanks. All those ideas sound good to me.

Thanks for your reply. I'm very ignorant about wiring. I'll probably have to hire someone to do that.

Nah, You can use any old switch. I would get one from Radio Shack. Just follow the wire from the doorbell. Cut one wire any place along the way and hook in the switch. If necessary hook a piece of wire so you can put the switch somewhere else.
A jaw type bear trap put over outside button should deter unwanted rings. Otherwise just a wire a switch by the door, down by the breakers, or right next to the ringer unit. It would be even easier to wire the swicth directly from the 18V transformer, which does not pose a serious electrical risk. .

Speaking of lawsuits. . .

Thanks for your help. I'll have to get someone to help me with the electrical work.

Oh, now I have to go buy a wolf-trap, weld it open, and nail it up over my doorbell with a "no soliciting" sign...
Chemqueries wrote:

After making sure nothing else is running off the transformer, I suggest using a switch to cut off the 120V feed. You could use a timer type or with an X-10 system you could have a remote no wire switch in a convenient location away from the transformer.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Thanks for your help. Sorry for my ignorance, but can you tell me what an "X-10 system" is.
Chemqueries wrote:

It is available at Radio shack and smarthome.com as well as many other places. It sends a signal though your house wiring to control switches and other devices from other places in your home. It can make automation a lot easier than hard wiring would be.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Did anyone other than me hear that the "X-10" bunch claimed bankruptcy recently?.............About two months ago or so. I swear It!................Maybe I should have tken more time and listened more carefully, they may have sold also.............but I know I heard a newscasrt one morning saying something about their Bankruptcy.
http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3097651
Turns out I wasn;t just hearing things.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
Switching off the door bell will just make the people knock on the door. How do you plan on stopping that ?
--
JerryD(upstateNY)

"Chemqueries" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message

Do Not Disturb sign?
My doorbell has not worked in 23 years. If you have to ring the bell to find me I probably don't want to see you anyway. If you are a friend, you know what to do.

a friend, you >know what to do. ************************************************* I tried the "Do Not Disturb" sign approach. I even tried the "Please Do Not Disturb" approach. Neither worked. I agree with your reasoning, and I had planned to leave the non-working bell as it is, but in the past month, I had appointments with several service men (boiler, furnace repair etc.), and their dispatchers wouldn't give me a definite time for the service calls. All they'd give me was a four-hour window of time when the technicians might show up. I was running to the window every few minutes to see whether they were in the driveway. That doesn't work. By the way, this reminds me of an old photograph of Frank Sinatra. He was standing next to the door mat outside of his front door. Instead of saying "Welcome," the message on his doormat was, "GO AWAY."
> My doorbell has not worked in 23 years. If you have to ring the bell to > find me I probably don't want to see you anyway. If you are a friend, you > know what to do. > >
Love that! Another suggestion: a NO SOLICITING sign. "NO I DO NOT want FREE COPY of THE WATCHTOWER!!!" ;-) Take it from me, the irritating idiots will actually TURN AROUND & LEAVE when the see it.
Seriously, if KNOCKING is less of a concern, go to radio shack (probably even Home Depot) and get a single pole single throw toggle switch. Drill a hole in the side of the door bell cover & install the switch. Wire it in series with one of the door bell wires (doesn't matter which, but if you have both front & back door bells, make sure it's the door where you expect annoyance, probably the front). Just take a wire off the terminal on the bell, solder it to the switch, then run a wire from the other switch terminal to where that 1st wire was attached. Don't worry; we're talking 14 volts or so here, you're not going to electrocute anyone. Just flip it OFF before retiring on the weekend ;-)
Dan

Well, that's a good point. The room I sleep in is far enough away from the door that I think I could sleep through a knocking sound, but I know I couldn't sleep through the bell ringing.
One could put a wet paint sign on the door and the area around it? ;)
Mark

How about stuffing tissue into the bell to quiet it?
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/