Doorbell Repair

Recently I replaced a doorbell button that had cracked, gotten stuck and consequently would not "ring." There were no signs of broken or cracked wires, but after I connected the new button and tested it out, I got a "buzz" when I pressed the button instead of a "ding-dong." What could be causing this and what should I do?
I had one like that. When the button got stuck, it melted one of the bell solenoids. I had to replace the doorbell. Not expensive and not a big job. Take it apart. A burnt solenoid is easy to see, and the plunger will be stuck.
Bob

Also, check the doorbell transformer. Mine was burned and brown although it still worked. I replaced it. The entire doorbell system is designed for intermittent duty. A stuck button can ruin the entire system. The wire will survive.
Bob