Doorbell Question

Page 1 of 2

My home is 11 years old, and it came with a battery-operated doorbell which has worked great, but now it needs replacing.
I noticed when I took the old push button off by the front door that there is a red and a white wire behind the button. Does this mean the house is wired for a wired doorbell? The back door area has the same colored wires.
I cannot find any place where I would install the box inside. I have checked all closets, etc.
Can anyone tell me if these wires are indeed for a wired doorbell, and where the inside wires would be for the box?
I hope I explained this fairly well.
Thanks.
Kate

No, those are for the furnace, or possibly phone service. Where'd you get the crazy notion that wires behind a doorbell button might be for a door bell?
AZ Nomad wrote:

Ah c'mon, don't be sarcastic.
Telephone/furnace wires would not be behind a doorbell button. Maybe I did not explain myself very well.
My thinking is that the house was originally wired for a doorbell, but for some reason the homeowners' decided to go with a battery operated doorbell. I just can't find the wires inside my home that would connect to a doorbell box.
I would love to have a wired doorbell.

I had the exact same issue, had no idea where the transformer was or the doorbell wires:(
One day I talked to a neighbor, looked at where his doorbell and transformer was:) went back home and found mine in less than 15 minutes:)
Good thing too the doorbell transformer buried under a cieling was VERY HOT, smelled of smoke:( I powered off the house and discoinnected it after letting it cool for awhile, so I wouldnt get burned:(
A week later I had my new doorbell chime working:)
Make friends with your neighbors you can learn things from them:)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I cannot figure out why mine would be in the closet. It seems it would be very hard to hear it at the other end of the house.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Hi, Quit playing silly games. You are too old for that.

Look for a transformer mounted on the suface of an electrical junction box, maybe on the basement ceiling, that would be athe power supply for the bell. And, you could brush the wires together and see if you hear a doorbell ringing somewhere in the house. Can you se anything that looks like a bell?

This is what is so mind boggling. I don't have a basement, and I can't find the junction box anywhere.
I will brush the wires together to see what happens.
Many thanks!
Kate wrote:

If you can stick your head up into the attic hatch, look around for a string or two of twisted red/white bell wire and see where it goes. If you spot the wires, there will probably be a bell transformer mounted on a junction box up there in the attic. You will see a pair going to both doors and to wherever a bell was mounted. A pair from the transformer will be going to the bell location with the others. It's possible the wires come out behind the newer battery operated bell. Here's a link with helpful illustrations to help you understand.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/repair/doorbell.htm
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Very good info., and thank you so much for the informative site. I have my work cut out for me, and I will definitely check out the attic.
Many thanks TDD.

Thanks to that link I was able to fix my doorbell that has been going "CLUNK dong" for two years now. :)
Eilean
EileanDonan wrote:

Glad it helped you. I look for links that can help explain and show how things work. I've been an electrical terrorist since childhood when I would build Frankenstein machines and let one of my little brothers plug it in while I ducked behind something. I learned at an early age how to release the magic smoke that allows all electrical devices to function.
TDD

LOL I've seen that smoke. It usually goes from wires to my finger tips.
Eilean
Kate wrote:

Measuring for voltage may help even if it doesn't ring. I think most doorbells used 24VAC power. It's probably disconnected, but who knows.
Bob F wrote:

I have an electrician friend who will be here in two weeks, so I will probably have to wait until he gets here. I am not giving up though, and hope to figure it out myself.
Thank you!
Kate wrote:

It is possible the original system was wired and died (meaning the transformer/bell failed) and was "fixed" by installing the battery powered bell(s). If that happened then brushing the wire together will get you no info. What's wrong with replacing the battery or another battery system?

If the wires are ok, then it will be an easy job getting the wired system working again. Asside from the wire and the pushbutton, the only other components are the transformer and bell.
Wireless systems suck by comparison -- I've got one to reach a carport on the other side of a locked gate. So far, two transmitters have failed to outlast more than one battery change. 3 years, 3 transmitters.
LouB wrote:

I hope that is not the case. The battery operated units don't have the Westminster chimes that I really like. The chimes on the battery units aren't great, but I may have to live with it.
Thanks.

Very often the transformer is right at the electrical service panel, and the chime wire is often centered above the frond vestibule closet door - quite possibly papered over with the wire tucked back.

Just playing with a troll. I don't think anybody is as stupid as the OP is pretending to be.